Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is over and now is the time to consider summer wants/needs for my machine. It is an 02 800x and the major complaint now that the engine 'seems' to be resolved is getting the back to keep up with the skis in turns. These machines are squrrielly in tight turns with the precision skis! I have never picked nor do I know of anyone around here who has done a machine. Most guys are mountain riders.
  Questions are plentiful and any help appreciated. Will picks keep the rear where I want it? What kind are good? How many are needed? What precautions should be observed when installing and riding? How will they affect top end? I figure bottom end should be a given! What tooling is required for installation? What is a decent price?
 Any help/stories will be appreciated as this will be a summer project and I want it to go right.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
woody's, dealers shop sled is an 800 x with 96 down the middle.no this is not an ideal number of studs for racing but works well for cornering and braking. dont like putting to many of them in being so long for the 1.25 track.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Woody's carbide push-thru studs are the best, I run 144 on my 700, make sure to use tunnel protectors, get a yourself a track drilling template if your new at studding tracks, they make special drill bits for tracks, check out woody's website they have a great application guide.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Just don't buy the Saber brand.I bought the new and improved ones last fall. 25% of them had the carbide broke out of them.I have to remove them and send them in for analysis.Now if they do warranty them,I would have a hard time installing more junk ones that will break.What do you do?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The 5/16" Gold Diggers (Woody's) will be the most durable carbide studs you will find. I used to run 144 down the middle on my sled before I got a 9818 Camo 1.25 track. The 144 combo worked good, with allot of forward bite, but without the outside studs, it still leaves some "give" in cornering. You also don't  have to run excessive length of carbide on the skis. I run just 6" on mine.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I used 5/16 gold diggers as well but i run 192 and used the outside of the track as well.I've got almost 5000km and have only had 2 or 3 tips break and no pull throughs.And that was going through some less than ideal conditions this season as well.I also like the 6" carbides as well,but if i keep this sled i'll be putting the precision skis on it for next year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On my 02/800x i run 192 1150's.The studs are magnum stainless sold by Don Coffey's.They come with warrenty and are good quality.Don't buy WARTHOGS!, I made that mistake on my 01/800 and after 500 miles they were all junk. The rep told me BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!.MY 97/670 has 6700 miles on it with 144 magnum studs and only about 30 have had to be replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts