Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ski-Doo men,

a picture of my baby with 47 inches skis-stance and rear Mx-zx suspension for confortable trail riding and superb handling! It's a killer!

Bye! Z36Qc

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ski-Doo men!

my trailer was not enough large.I buy a new one!!!!
Nota bene: No retrovisors because nothing can came close in trails!!!

Bye! Z36Qc! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI SKI-DOO MEN!

I will try to answer to all your questions!Bu i'm a french Canadian and my English is bad!!

Firt ,yes i have 24,500 milles with this Z!

Second, i modify my z because i weight only 140 lbs and the rear suspension was too stif for me .The Z was also a little heavy for me to handle it like i desire(fast secure trail riding).

- I begin to calibrate an Mz-Zx rear schock to my personnal use.It was terrrific how handling and confort was better after!More confort, better handling in bumpy trail.
-After i design a new front suspension with 47 inches center-to center,with new schock brackets and new aluminium(70-73 T6) rod.After some minor adjustement the result was very surprising! In fast speed in curve i have more control and no more ski lift. But the rear of snowmobile is more prone to slide on each side (because of the more aggressive front suspension).But this phenomenon is under control,and help very much to handle aggressive curve.It's like a Mustang 5 ,if you hit throttle in curve the rear tire slide the other side and help to take the curve all under control!
I compare side by side with other Z owner(2) in trail with no more than 6 to 8 inches bump and the result was very concluant! My z was more stable and rapid in these situations(little bumps and twisty trails).

I calibrate front and rear for fast trail riding with no more than 1feet bump.If you have more than 1 feet bump the front and rear suspension go to schock stopper!!
I like very much this z ,because i modify it myself , it is far better handling and i had the satisfaction to design and calibrate all myself! Z36Qc ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Ski-Doo men!

i send you a better picture(bigger)! Z36Qc!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Very Cool.

You should try presision skis. You will get a much sharper, More controled turning sled, not to mention safer.

Plus you will also gain a bigger ski stance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
when you widened your sled did you have any problems with binding of the trailing arms on each side when the your suspension is bottomed out? ive tried to widen mine and didnt put it on because of the binding just woundering thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Gino!

after 24,500 milles of fast trail riding,and after the last winter where my front and rear suspension bottommed out like never, i just broke 3 stabilizer bar link. The trailing arms(black with psa stickers) never bent or break! When you do this type of modification you should always test your suspension on full travel before using it on trail(just to remove springs on front suspension). After you test your front suspension on all up and down travel you can modify the length or position of different suspension rod to have a full secure and effective suspension! It's not easy but i do it!It's very time consuming but you are the designer and you will have the satifaction of the result!

Take care! Z36Qc! ;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Very impressive!

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the skis out that far, there is more leverage on the shocks and springs. How did you compensate for this? The front of the sled looks low, and I'm thinking this is why. Have you put stiffer springs in the front?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Walrus,

i use the same spring but shim it to compensate and to have some adjustement on the schock adjustement cam.The Z 98 have approx 8.5 inches of travel (FRONT). To have a more stable ride ,i adjust the calibration of the spring to have aprox. 6 inches of travel.I can always adjust the heigt of my mach just by shimming the spring!I fabricate spacer blocks to adjust the angle of the schocks .Just to add or remove a shim (to have a firmer or smoother ride) between frame and schock braket to adjust!!
I prefer to have 5 to 6 inches of travel because i just do fast trail riding on good trails(5 to 12 inches bumps).Note that's this set-up is the best for this use .But if you like to ride 12 to 20 inches bumps you have to make a new set-up.....!

Take care! Z36Qc ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
What exactly did you make do produce the wider stance? I'm guessing new longer aluminum suspension rods with heim joints at the ends, new longer steering rods.. what else? New shock brackets? Do you have drawings? I've been thinking of doing exactly what you have done, instead of spending the rediculus amount of money MBRP wants for their widening kit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
when i tested mine out before installing everything back together i found that the rear of the trailing arm were the rubber is didnt move the way that its suposed to so i didnt install it mabe ill just shorten my rods a little and see if it helps ? i used some stock rods cut them and lenghtened them and made some alluminum blocks for the shocks and i welded some extra swaybar pivots as to extened the swaybar ...by the way your kit looks awsome. p.s im from sherbrooke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts