Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are just a few.  Trip on weekend was awesome.  We sledded in to an old gold mine that was shut down in 1968.  Her are just a few pictures.  Temp was about -18c to -30c all weekend.  Very cold, but lots and lots of snow.

newf

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had to cross huge lake to start the trip.  This lake is 30 miles long.  Drove across it towing my sleds.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trail through the woods

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a whole town at this mine.  Looks like a ghost town.  We were the first people there this year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rapids along the way

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes we will put our helmets under the hood to warm then up and clear them from frost.  That picture was taken on saturday, it was around -25c.

The mine site had housing after housing.  Recreconal rooms, theater, billards hall, post office, apartments, swimming pool, etc.

It was like they just got up and left.  There were still unmade beds, dishes in the sink etc.  Newspapers were dated 1968.

newf

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've seen some places like that near timmins, Can't believe people dont bring the stuff or at least sell it. I wonder if it's up for grabs or still owned by someone.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i wish i was there, seems so calm and these guys come to town.  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm surprised the government hasn't made them remove it all.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to the goverment, you can take what ever you want.  However the ice road that we took to get there is very narrow in places, and thus only small items can be taken.  The total length of the trail is about 75 miles (one direction), plus another 40 by truck.

I took some core samples.

Back in the 60's clean up was not necessary (like it is today).  The orginal company "Discovery Mine" has since gone bankrupt.  Newer Mines like BHP and Diavik are required to pay the goverment for cleanup cost as they operate to prevent this from happening again.  It is sad, however it is also a peice of history that was cool to experience.

newf  

1 - 20 of 39 Posts