Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been posted I didnt see it this is a copy and paste from DT

The Pigeon River State Forest is located northeast of Gaylord Michigan. There is currently a plan in progress to update a land management order which could result in limited to no snowmobile access to the forest. The PRSF is different than most areas in Michigan when it comes to snowmobiling. There are no designated groomed snowmobile trails. Motorcycles and ATV's are prohibited at all times of the year. A delicate balance exists between hunters, snowmobilers, cross-country skiers and hikers. Public opinion is currently being accepted on what, if any changes should be made to snowmobile access. Ten years ago, there was a proposal to limit all snowmobile traffic to plowed county roads within the forest. I intiated a petition to leave things the way they were (no restrictions on snowmobile travel within the forest) and presented it to the forest manager (since retired). The hundred or so people that were involved in the petition made their voice be heard and nothing changed. We are back to that point again where we need the snomobilers voice to be heard. The area is not for all snowmobilers. No groomed trails, no gas stations, no bars or eating establishments. The snowmobiling goes at a slower pace, where quality far outweighs quanity. Elk, deer, turkey, eagles, etc are not uncommon to see during a trip through the forest. We have lost the Mason tract down by Graying/Waters area (no snowmobiles allowed). The PRSF has a portion (Green Timbers) that has no motorized travel allowed. Please write the State and let them know we want to continue to use the forest as we have been for the last several years. Please mail comments to: Pigeon River Country Concept of Management Update, Department of Natural Resources, Forest,Mineral, and Fire Management Division. PO Box 30452, Lansing, MI 48909-7952. They are accepting public comments through September 15th, so please do not delay.

send your coments here

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0%2C1607%2C7-1...004--%2C00.html

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
I sent in my response.
Richard

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Thanks for the info.. :thumbsup:

Snow4

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.. :thumbsup:

Snow4[/b]

I know alot of people dont ride this area but that does not matter,once we start loosing riding areas it will never stop.So please send your comments!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
I know alot of people dont ride this area but that does not matter,once we start loosing riding areas it will never stop.So please send your comments!!![/b]
Oh we ride that area on our quick weekend trips. I will send a comment but i want to think about what I will say tonight and send it tomorrow. Thanks Again, your point on loosing riding area's is very true.

Snow4

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:christmas: bump :christmas:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered