Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my SLP pipe on my 01 mxz 600. (let me tell you one thing, that manifold was the BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ### IVE EVER SEEN to get one) Where the tail of the pipe fits into the can, exhaust spits out there (also at the exit of the can, but it comes out both places), and its a fair amount of exhaust. What do i have to do to make sure no exhaust comes out of anything but the exit hole? Is there something that i have to put on the there to make sure no exhaust comes out.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
get some high temp gasket maker

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can i get that, and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
just go to your local auto parts shop or garage and ask for it, the stuff i am talking about comes in tube and you squeeze it out on the two end pieces of the pipe you are joining, stick them together and wait for it to set, but you better do it now or you wont wait when there is snow down :p , or also you can buy actual sheets of gasket material and you cut your own and fit it in place, i have use both. oh yea and its not expensive i buy it for around 6.00 a tube for the gasket maker and the sheets of gasket is not expensive either, thats canuck buck too.

Last edited by jwheeler at Oct 13 2002, 11:03 PM

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just a thought, are you sure the ypipe didn't get mounted upsidedown? that would put the pipe at a weird angle and would'nt match straight at either end? Also as mentioned you should have gooped the goints up with hi temp silicone and let it cure for a day before starting it. Make sure you clean off the surfaces good before you goop it up, now that you have run it they are surely oily. What made the mainfold so difficult? SLP's stuff usually fits good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, everything is lined up fine, I just read the instructions and they said put some high temp silicone in there. U guys said the same thing, so ill go out and buy some, well it was a pain in the ###, those to bottom inside bolts were a PAIN TO GET TO!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Ultra Copper by Permatex is what I have used & is probably the same stuff that 'doo uses from the factory.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Your right revrnd

Ultra Copper IS what Doo mechanics use.

$6 bucks from Canadian tire - $12 buck from Bombardier? (I guess they have to make profit on everything)

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Originally posted by madsledhead@Oct 13 2002, 11:40 PM
$6 bucks from Canadian tire - $12 buck from Bombardier? (I guess they have to make profit on everything)
You've got to be kidding !!! !!! ???

I saw on the news tonight that the Auditor General wants the feds to after Bombi for money the Dept. of National Defence spent (65 mil) on fighter pilot training it never received.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Use ultra black.........nothing uglier than opening the hood and looking at orange silicone on everything......My BM pipes leaked a bit at the silencer and I ased hight temp black and you cant even see it......Canadian Tire 12 bucks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not kidding at all.

Bought some at the open house on 28 September at Contant in Laval (qc)

Was ever so pissed off when I went to Canadian tire the next day.

Billed me for $11.99/tube + tax

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Sled-head, is the Ultra Black rated for the same temps? I wasn't aware of the black stuff. I'll check it out the next time I'm in a parts store.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Its Ultra Black 598 ..........I think its good for over 700 degrees and the silencer wont see that kind of heat. I used copper in the past and my dealer recomended this stuff and said he used it for years......I'll try almost anything once. It definately looks better ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and where can i get that stuff??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts