Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this as a reply to a suggestion that someone buy pipes to make their sled go faster.

Before you run off and buy pipes, consider that most are louder than stock, even some that say they are quiet. It may be very rural where you live, but if you ride anywhere where you go near peoples houses, particularly at night, it can cause problems with keeping the trails open. One really loud pipe upsets people way more than a thousand relatively quiet ones. We need to keep our landowners happy or we will lose trails. Trails are lost all the time. I would rather go a couple of miles slower and still have a trail to ride on. Not all aftermarket pipes are terribly loud, I think a lot of it is from the smaller, lighter silencers. Anyway, it's something to consider. I think I'll make this a new thread. Best of luck and happy riding!

·
Registered
625 Posts
We have had this discussion many times before here on SW, and I agree with you 100%. There are times and places for the "loud" pipes, but as long as they are manufactured some short sighted individuals will cause us to lose trails, unless the potential penalties are great enough. And remember we are talking about snowmobiles and access of private land, not motorcycles on public streets......it really is two seperate issues.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I am the last one who wants to hear a set of pingy pipes, but have gone the aftermarket route. PSI, Crank Shop, and AAEN are very quiet pipes, and I had a set of AAENs on my MXZ and they were just a quiet as stock.

Crank Shop has even gone the route to start using chambered silencers as an option to there pipes rather than the fiberglass style stingers.

Loud does not equil HP.

But I will agree about most of these aftermarket silencers. I can't see why people will spend $250 for a noise maker. I can see the weight savings, and maybe any justified HP gains, but you can buy a SLP chambered one that gives you the same gains, with no noise. But most buy a "Rumble Pack" at the snow show and want to just make noise.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ditto 800mxz

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm not trying to bash anyone here but I've heard some of these pipes from quite a distance (on the side of the trail having a smoke) and I think if it's that loud from here how can someone stand being on that sled all day? Don't get me wrong I've thought of getting one for performance reasons but you really don't know how it's gonna sound on your sled until you buy it. I don't know enough people with the same exact sled as mine with all the different types of pipes on them. Whew getting long winded here but my point is that I agree with the people that too loud of a pipe is harmful to this sport! Just my 2c's

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I feel for you guys.......It must suck to be confined to trails and have to deal with noise issues........and yes I agree one cool guy who has to not only be seen but has to be heard can cause alot of grief for the sport.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm not bashing piped sleds because mine is pipedand not much louder than stock.........hats off to BM.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I hesitate to write this because I don't want to get tied up in another long winded word marathon. Just a quick thought. What kind of people are these blood suckers that need money so badly that they would purposely supply the market with something so worthless, supplied only to make noise? What possible rationale is used to justify this? Do they actually believe that they are making power(the manufacturer/consumer)? Or, are they making/selling them with this idea to anyone silly enough to believe it, then shell out the 2 to 3 hundred bucks? Swampland in Florida comes to mind here... so does a total lack of responsibility on the part of the manufacturer, and the consumer("well it SOUNDS like I'm going faster").

To be absolutely clear-
I'm speaking of the rumble packs or the same thing by any other brand name. I am not refering to a properly designed aftermarket ANYTHING that will actually make power.... and be no noisier than stock, whatever that is.

AL

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Theres little doubt that load pipes are a major contributing factor when it comes to trails being closed down. I know many feel that using these noise makers fall well within "their rights" and anyone telling them otherwise is an infrigement of their rights. I understand your argument completely but lets introduce a new term to the discussion "common sense". Common sense is a wonderful thing, when applied to the argument it tells us that if we continue to ride sleds that are far noisier than stock trails will continue to close an ever increasing rate leaving us with less and less trails and one day (maybe not all that far away) no trails at all. Its certainly wonderful these folks see fit to exercise their right to use these pipes but don't forget its also the land owners right to kick you along with the rest of us off their land and close the trails.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I do have say I do not like loud sleds. I however do have a set of pipes on my zrt and am getting a pipe for my zr. I however use the stock muffler. The pipes on my zrt are quieter then y brothers stock 97 ext600 and they are probably the same as the sled as stock. It does havea litle "pingy" noise but only if you listen for it. I think the pipe manufacture's know people do not like the noise (except for a select few) and are trying to curb that by stating the stingers or can's are for racing only. Kevin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hey Kevin, your going to be real happy with that 900. i saw thwm run today and boy, oh boy do they scream.
caleb

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Da-dum, da-dum, da-dum....where is he, I know he's just waiting for the right moment to reply to this thread. Where are ya, you know who I'm talking about. Or does he feel enough has been said.... Come on, make that reply...this is the right opportunity to jump back in. Maybe he's just catching some Z's right now ???

Caleb, where did you see the 900 run?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but don't forget its also the land owners right to kick you along with the rest of us off their land and close the trails.

Well said ZR Sled Head! I am not anti-pipe, just anti-loud. I think people sometimes forget that we are guests on peoples land. We have no right to be there - it is a privilege. Our club holds a landowners dinner every year. I wish we could do more for them. When I hear some moron with an amplifyer instead of a muffler headed past their houses and farms at night I can't help but think "why should they put up with that?" Its the couple of really loud ones that kill it, not the ones that are a few decibles more.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I think this is the point that was lost in the other thread. Contrary to what some of these guys think, there ARE noise limits placed on things like motorcycles and automobiles. However, for whatever reason, these laws are largely unenforced. Factor in the private property issue, and it only makes the sledding issue that much more important. No, I'm not ragging on those who get the pipes and then act responsibly with them. I'm pointing out that sleds are not the only noise regulated vehicle out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts