Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when I change the pistons in my 2001 800 I am thinking seriously about buying twin pipes. I am not worried about the top end but I am worried about trail driveabilty in the midrange. Throttel responce ect,ect. Has anyone installed a set of pipes on a "01" or a "02" ZR800? Where did you buy them and how much were they? At what RPM did your eng. run? Did you have to make major clutch changes? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

Auggie

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hey Auggie, I put a set of D&D twins on my '01 800 last year. You will defi-
nately need to clutch it a little, or you will actually lose performance. I ran mine for about 300 miles b-4 clutching it, and it wouldn't run much over
70 mph. Haven't run it much since the clutching, just a little grass running. The clutch now engages around 4800 rpm. I got a hell of a deal on the pipes from a shop, because a guy ordered them and didn't pick them up. Even going from the single stock to twins, it was a major weight savings because of the cannisters...I never imagined the stock can was so heavy.

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a set of d&d pipes ,thet worked pretty good ,very trailable,on the dyno they made a moderate increase, when matched to a d&d clutch kit the sled was very fast.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it sure seems like there are very few ZR800's with twin pipes out there?? Jim, what is a good deal? Now that you have it clutched what is the max RPM? What did D&D suggest for M/Jets? FIRE SCRAP what is a moderate increase? Did you have to clutch and jet?? Do you guys think that it was worth the hassel.

Auggie

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Auggie, I definately believe it is worth it. Stock hp was around 139, now it dynos at 156 and that's only piped and clutched, nothing else yet. I got the pipes for $470, I think D&D was selling them for around $550-600. Like everything else, shop around. If you want, I'll give you the name of the guy I bought mine from...won't be the same price, but he is a very fair guy and will help you as much as you need on setup. I will check my notes at home to get you the rest of the info and numbers.

Go for it,
Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
My d&d pipes made 8 hp ,while jetted for -20c , it was +10c when dynoed, big hp with porting and head work. As far as bang for the buck goes a clutch kit is still #1 to me. Best way to go I think is a big stocker with clutch work and jetting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts