Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about piping my sled this fall. But lot of my friends say I am stupid to pipe my sled before I clutch it. What would you guys do pipe it first or cluch it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although I don't have alot of experience with this, from what I've picked up clutching a stock sled can result in a little more snappiness. Or the ability to put more emphasis on top end or bottom performance. With piping, clutching is usually neccessary to utilize the added power that is normally found in a different rpm range than the sled was originaly set up for. People that add pipes without re-clutching can actually cause performance loss. If it was me, I would either add a clutch kit alone and assess were it leaves you, or go for the whole ball of wax and get the pipe and clutch kit.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you are going to pipe the sled anyway hold off on the clutchkit because you will have to use a completly dif clutching set up for the pipes because a clutch kit for a stock non piped sled will not work on a piped sled.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If you live in Wisconsin,it is illegal to alter any part of the exhaust system.
I would clutch it and forget the pipe.All of you have heard those loud sleds on the trails,those are the ones that are causing trail shutdowns.So keep 'em stock. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I will Clutch it and forget about the pipes. What clutch kit would you guys reccomend for a 1998 ZR 600?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
IMO you are always better off clutching FIRST.  After that, then do your reeds, pipes, silencer, and whatever else you think you want to do.  Allot of pipe/silencer combos require different clutching also, so IF you decide to pipe it first, get the clutching that is recommended for it at the same time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just put a D&D kit in my 02 ZR 600 inaddition to the power breather and really like the results...currently waiting on Delta reeds to come in, that's next on the agenda and will probably be it.  Oh, I also put on a B&B Eliminator silencer, that added a nice touch, it really bellers and cackles, but like the others said about certain state restrictions come into play.  I chose to keep stock single pipe as most said twin pipes would best be for mid to top end...I personally like to throw the roost and happy with ultra low end setup.

I would like to experiment with a little different gearing, nothing snaps my neck hard enough!

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you plan on piping the sled, hold off on the clutching. you will need to clutch the sled once you get the pipes on to get the full advantages of the the pipes.   the pipes might also require a different RPM for the sled to run at, which can only be done by clutching.     also, if you do choose to buy pipes, remember that jetting starts to play a bigger role in the way your sled runs and performs.   but if you are willing to do these things, put a set of pipes on and start blowing away the other 600 ZR's

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts