Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that this sled has been out there for two seasons, I was wondering who has experimented with adding new pipes and can to their MXZ 800 w/DPM 2001. I do not want to change jetting. This is key. I know it can be done. Let me know and a round estimate on cost.  Thanks guys

Doo

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
 I guess it can't be done.......no replies. Thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Stay with the stock pipe and a restrictor for short disatances but dont do any lake runs with the restrictor in or its a goner. The best aftermarket, from the dyno's done by private individuals is the twin crankshop pipes about $600 give or take.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crank Shop out of Vermont? Have you made the change to these pipes?  90% of the riding is logging roads and trails. Very few lakes.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
done an 01 800x monday night,put on speedwerx twins and lost 3 sleds over stock.done clutch work to the stock one and gained 1.5 sleds more,by clutch work I am talking, just the primary spring.same one that came with the pipes.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There is allot of work that has to go allong with the pipes to get them to work on the series 3, especially the 800. Not enough flow thru the motor. All but the best ported engines will be much happier with a DynoPort with the 2001. The 2002 have a better pipe, but they had some carb issues as well.

I had twins on mine, and it made some huge top end power, but the bottom end went by-by. Like a 500fan coming out of the gate.

I would highly recomend an RKT head over any mods on the 800, then a Dport single. Get some boyseen reeds and you will be very happy for not allot of $$$.

·
4,440 Posts
guy just called that has the twins on his 800.told me they just got back from goodwins to have dynoed.when they seen  he had the twins they said no way.seems they told him once he puts stock pipe on they will clutch it and run it on the dyno,but they said we are not taking the blame for the bad performance with the twins.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dave, are you talking just the reeds, or the rad valve? I see they offer a rad valve now for the 800 twins. I believe last year they only offered the reed petals for the 800's.

·
4,440 Posts
the petals are really the most bang for your buck.cleans the throttle response up.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The RAD was avail last yeat, just places like Hi-Perf didn't carry them cause they were late release, after most places made there catalogs.

Just like dooman said, the reeds are the best bang for the buck, like $75 if I am thinking right. I like the RAD valve allot better than the VForce2s, but I see the VF3s are a copy of the RAD at least on the carb side.

If you want a good allout investment, I would go with the RAD, but you will get allot better throttle response and midrange with the Reeds allone.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I don't see how twin pipes could do much for the 800 as i
thought it made the most power in the 7800-7900 rpm range.
Spinning it any higher than that and hp would drop pretty fast
you'de figure.

·
4,440 Posts
z800rtx,the first thing about pipes I found out was they increase the rpm range,moving the power higher up.just like any mods to any engine you are giving something to get something .there is nothing a givin or freebe.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do Doo, Why don't you want to change jetting?  You add a set of twins, and I'll guarantee you'll go up on the main because of more airflow.  As dooman says your engine will make optimum power at a higher rpm.  More gas + more airflow = more HP.  After you add a pipe, you'll obviously have to do some clutch work to get the power to the ground.  I've seen very few 800 two bangers with twin pipes.  I think that's why you're not seeing a lot of info.....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses guys. Really appreciate it. I think I'll skip the pipes. I am happy with the stock clutching because one day a will be pussyfooting on the throttle either do to conditions or the folks I am with and the next day I am ripping up the trails with WOT. I need a huge window for a variety of riding styles. Clutching narrows this window to a more fixed style of riding. I am going to change the stock reeds to V-force 3's. I was already warned about the 2's. Three's, I guess, address the problems had in the 800's. Boy are they expensive though.... :( I hope it worth the big$$ for the reeds.

Doo

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Doo the Do - Save the $$$ on the reeds and get a RKT head! You will not be dissapointed. The head is another $30 more, but you will get allot more out of it. I would recomend just the regular Boyseen replacement reeds if you had to switch them.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Have any of you guys tried using just the reed spacers?I was curious
if they were worth it or not.Seems like not many add ons do much for
this engine ???

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a
"02" 800 here's what I run this thing is fast.
RKTech head, raise the exhaust .040, 430 mains, restrictor in the pipe, 100/180 primary spring, titanium arms, 22.5 gr pins, 287 ramps, I will do the piston fix and than have to remove the restrictor and run 400 mains. We have tried the piston fix and it works. This is what works for my machine using part of these mods will not produce the same results but will help. use Pyros in you testing.

The comments of these guys trying to figure out what the fix is, ignore they do not have a clue.

800 power fix

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boyseen it is, now after seeing the post on reeds. Thanks :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts