Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring my 76 Oly quit and found out it had a hole burned in the piston PTO side. Bought 2 new pistons and installed them and got it running last week. I used the carb spray around the crank on the pto side to see if I had any air leaks. No leaks on that side. Put just under an hour on it yesterday and the same thing happened. Same piston (pto side). Am I missing something? Could it be the wrong spark plugs? I got some Autolite #373 from the parts guy who said "they would work" I'm beginning to wonder. Are these too hot of plugs? I have since found the right plugs. Never had a problem when I had the old plugs (not the 373's) for 2 years. Now 2 pistons. Like I said, both times it was the same piston. If it is an air leak where else could it be?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Matt Glesinger

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Get the original Bosch plugs and check the ignition timing, sounds like the centrifical advance mechannism behind the flywheel is jammed in the advanced position or the points are too close (supposed to be .020".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would there be any indication on the bottom side of the piston where the trouble is?
Also why always the pto side? The other piston (mag side) looked ok. The spark plug on the PTO was completely welded shut.
Thanks
Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts