Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone knew a few ways to keep your sled at top shape and prevent the burning or destruciton of pistons.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Well...make sure you are jetted properly -- That is the number one reason a piston will go, aside from oil starvation. Put your sled away for the summer properly, and keep your carbs clean and you should be fine. No more burn downs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help i am thinking of buying a 90 650 indy but it has been sitting for 2 years he said he started it every year but i worry about dried up seals know anything about that

·
Registered
395 Posts
The majority of pistons replaced at the shop I work at is because of bad gas. Either old or too low octane and good by piston.Clean carbs. fresh gas,and quality oil would put dealers out of a lot of work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That helps me out alot i was planning on cleaning the carbs and now ill drain the old gas. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
make sure you run quality oil too... mfg. brand oil, amsoil, klotz, etc. not the cheepest no-name stuff you can find. it helps alot.

- Jason

·
Registered
852 Posts
If your just buying  a sled the FIRST thing you doo is find out what your starting with, somebody may of modded an airbox,  or leaned it out maybe to suit their riding style, etc. Heads could be cut real close, timing way far advanced, #[email protected]! , I sell all my sleds like this........but I tell the buyer.. and if they want it stock I will take the afternoon to un dial it... Know what you got, keep it maintaned and happy trails..

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
u guys are forgetting the most important. always let your sled warm up before you ride and drive slow for the 1rst mile or 2 and then your safe to go. if you beat the crap out of it when its cold that where the pistons and cyl. get a beating.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with DANR, warm up that engine for a few minutes before you start out, then drive slow for about a mile. That will really help with piston life. Also, another big one is to run slightly rich. (Not super rich&#33
Your plugs will not last two years, but your pistons will last a very long time. Also, a good quality oil at around a quart per tank of gas and you will ride for years without any engine problems. I'm on year three on the Mach Z I beat the piss out of the motor by riding at 100mph plus and drag racing it all the time! Looks as good as new. Zero motor problems so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts