Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally received all the pieces to rebuild the motor's top end and was about to install the piston ring (single) and there is no mention of which way it should be installed.

The ring is not simply flat but inner edge appears to bend in slightly (with the numbers pointing up). This is the way I believe it should be installed but I cannot find any confirmation.

Thanks for the help. If a pic would help then let me know and I will see what I can do.

BTW new member here. The motor with ~6000km on it had some scarring on the gear side piston/sleeve so it is being rebuilt. Sleeves had to be overbored 0.010", cleaned up the runners of flashing and steps, picked up the SPX coated pistons (new rings, pin, bearings), coated the combustion chamber (and exhaust y-pipe and expansion chamber). It will need some rejetting and hopefully it won't blow up.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Finally received all the pieces to rebuild the motor's top end and was about to install the piston ring (single) and there is no mention of which way it should be installed.

The ring is not simply flat but inner edge appears to bend in slightly (with the numbers pointing up). This is the way I believe it should be installed but I cannot find any confirmation.

Thanks for the help. If a pic would help then let me know and I will see what I can do.

BTW new member here. The motor with ~6000km on it had some scarring on the gear side piston/sleeve so it is being rebuilt. Sleeves had to be overbored 0.010", cleaned up the runners of flashing and steps, picked up the SPX coated pistons (new rings, pin, bearings), coated the combustion chamber (and exhaust y-pipe and expansion chamber). It will need some rejetting and hopefully it won't blow up.[/b]
Numbers on rings face up. Be very carefull installing the piston pin clips (opening at 12 oclock)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Merci beaucoup! Thanks for the info!

Numbers on rings face up. Be very carefull installing the piston pin clips (opening at 12 oclock)[/b]
12 o'clock? The service manual says 6 o'clock.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Merci beaucoup! Thanks for the info!
12 o'clock? The service manual says 6 o'clock.[/b]
The stock Elko pistons will only allow the clips to go one way, the after market clips can have the opening up or down not sideways.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TD! The slugs are in and the sleeves are on. Time to bolt it all up.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts