Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
In which sled are you talking about? Some require more attention than others, many never require ring replacement for thousands and thousands of miles.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Do a cylinder leakdown test. Anything over 10% and it's time

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do i do a cylinder leakdown test and i have a 2004 500ss and was wondering if i should do them it has just 574 miles on it and how common is it for the engin to blow up?

·
Registered
593 Posts
how do i do a cylinder leakdown test and i have a 2004 500ss and was wondering if i should do them it has just 574 miles on it and how common is it for the engin to blow up?[/b]
Don't worry about it. Unless you are noticing a problem. IE. hard starting, lack of power, or something like that I would just leave it alone. That isn't enough miles to wear out the rings.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry about it. Unless you are noticing a problem. IE. hard starting, lack of power, or something like that I would just leave it alone. That isn't enough miles to wear out the rings.[/b]
what type of miles is good to look at them

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
how do i do a cylinder leakdown test[/b]
A leak down tester, like say the Snap On EEPV309A00, has the pressure regulator right on the gauge. Set the pressure at 100lbs and then put the air in the top of the head through the spark plug hole. Then rotate the piston clockwise until it comes up against the head of air and then put a socket on a breaker bar on the clutch bolt and rotate the piston up slowly. It will then start to raise the air pressure in the cylinder and keep your eye on the pressure as it starts to rise you will see it come up and then it will start to go down note the point at where it starts to go down. Typically on a good set of sealing rings they will hold 90lbs or more of air but if the cylinder holds say 80lbs of air, which is a 20% leak down, then you need rings.
You constantly feed the 100lbs of air into the cylinder and bring the piston up to top dead center seeing how much air it holds before it breaks over center and dumps the air back out the exhaust port.
With your mileage and the fact that your 500SS uses the small block 600 I would say you are fine.

·
Registered
593 Posts
what type of miles is good to look at them[/b]
On that sled if you keep it stock and trail ride it I personally wouldn't worry about it until it gave me a problem, (most likely last at least 10 000km) Or if you want to keep ontop of your motor, do a compression test or leakdown test. every few thousand km.

·
Registered
903 Posts
500ss' will go a long way on a set of rings.

Do the leakdown test at 4,000 miles, and every thousand or so miles after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts