Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on how tight I need to torque down plastic backers? I'm in the process of installation of 144 Woodys Gold Diggers using Fast Trac plastic backers. Seems the plastic is distorting in shape when the stud head is finally flush with the track. Am I missing something? I'm installing a combo dual/single pattern. Any thoughs would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
You would think Fast TRac has torque specs for their backers. That's where I would go first. Otherwise, if you happen to know exactly what material they're made from, I can work out the equation tomorrow and tell ya what torque force will destroy them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I HAVE HAD BAD LUCK WITH PLASTIC BREAKIN EASY GO WITH METAL U CAN GET COLORED METALS TO AND THERE STRONGER THEN MOST PLASTIC

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have had just the oposite problem that spaceout had. The metal backers add way to much weight or rotating mass and they were always bending for me. I liked the aluminium backers a little better, but still would bend. I have had great luck with the fast-trac plastic backers. I have juust under 6,000 miles on my sled and I just replaced all of the studs and I did not have to replace one of the backers. I will never use metal again. I like the rond ones because you don't have to worry about lining them up. Some friends of mine tried some cheaper off the wall brand plastic backers and had some bad luck with cracking and such. I would'nt try anything but the fast-trac's. I can't understand the problem with yours distorting. Sure they are not to tight? The stud should just start to squish the track. :thumbsup: SWRules

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you have High HP and torque don't bother usung the plastic backers. I had them on my 97 machZ and it wouldn't hook to save your soul. I damaged the track and replaced it with the same track off another mach with the same number of studs (240 gold diggers) but with aluminum backers and boy did it hook better. I'm guessing the plastic flexed uner power.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Plastic backers will deflect when the stud is sett correctly in the track. IMO plastic backers are JUNK

·
Registered
240 Posts
Make them tight enough to pull the head of the stud in flush with the track.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Steal backers are junk! They break a corner off and cut their way through the track leaving a big hole! Never had problems with the Saber nylon backers that we all use in my group even on the srx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts