Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between plastic and metal skis? (as in handling etc)
And does anyone know if i can even change mine to plastic with out paying 5 million bucks?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Plastic skis are much better in wet snow a lot less drag, also they weight less but you would I think have to use plastic ski skins for your sled , still it would be faster.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, will i still use carbide wear bars? Or is there something else you use for plastic?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that, but a friend i was talking to has an arctic cat and he says he uses something different than what i use. (as in carbides) And he has plastic skis.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sorry wasnt sure what you were asking and still am not positive. You wont use the exact ones that you have now if thats what you are asking.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, he said there are 2 types of wear bars, straight metal/steel rods like i got and something else, cant remember what he said.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What he talking about is plain wear rods , But you want some type of carbides I would say trail ones will be fine.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does someone want to send me a link to carbides or whatever so i know what they look like. Or do they just look like my plain ol wear rods?

·
Registered
443 Posts
wear bars are just circular bars to save your skis, carbide runners are those same things but they have these triangular pieces at that bottom to dig into hard snow, ice, and even pavement.

if you actually want to turn on your sled i recomend you get a pair, i got them on my citation and mxz and they are great, without them you cant turn worth sh!t.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Frame of mind: wear bars = metal bars attached to the bottom of your skis; carbides (otherwise known as "skags") metal blades (like skates) attached to the bottom of your skis. This allows for better handling (cuts through snow and ice) and allows your skis to act much like skates on ice, instead of no steering you may experience over-steering. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts