Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in the 4-stroke small engine business.  I see a lot of Chrome, Iron and Nickle plated pistons.  It adds life and improves power in the engine.  I am wondering if it is the same in 2-stroke engine.  And if it is worth doing to a snowmobile.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Swaintech in Scottsville NY has been coating pistons for  at least 10 years. Dynotech did some testing on the pistons.

This is their url: www.swaintech.com

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If I built another motor I'll definetly have the piston crowns Jet-hot coated with there special piston coating and i'll have the piston's cryogenically treated to thwart off a melt down chance.
Caleb

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
That's basically what Dynotech said after the pistons were coated. They were able to lean out the test engine more than they had in the past without the piston crown going soft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where would I be able to find more information on their process and the different types of coatings?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Stay away from hpcoatings for pistons as they have a bad rep. We've also had engine cylinder head runners and domes coated to keep the heat in and moving. But coating the inside of sled pipes doesn't make a diff they've found. A cryo'd and coated piston will take tons of abuse saving our buttsfrom  lean condition.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have never seen or heard of  a chrome piston. Piston,s are coated with a dry lube on the skirts and a thermo bearier on the domes.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Besides using Nicasil, are there any motors with chromed cylinders?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Chrome cylinders have been around for awhile, they used to be taboo because you couldn't bore them you had to re-sleeve, now I think that is pretty much the norm, they will take more of a beating if you do have a melt down compared to an uncoated cylinder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts