Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a quick ride today on Trout lake. It was kind of a sloppy day, but it was nice out on the lake. When we got to Turtle Lake narrows I started playing around having a good time hitting the water slowly and gunning it to wheelie away, then seeing how slow I good go without sinking it. (Got down to 29mph briefly, but could consistently go about 35)
We ran down Turtle lake and back, and I played a bit more on the way back.
By now we were getting a little damp from the drizzle, so we decide to head to the Portage to dry off. I figure we might as well head up through 4 mile bay so I can play on the water there too. THe narrows there are really shallow, so I figure I can afford to really play around. I pulled one really nice wheelie by putting feet right at the back of the running boards, and figure I'll try another and see how far I can carry it.

Here's where things go bad. Trying to jump off the ice I just spun out. There was no snow on the ice, and trying to leave from a dead stop 6 inches from teh edge of the ice, with the track spinning wildly, didn't give me enough of a launch to keep it going. I made it about 15 feet out and it started to go down.

Luckily the water is not deep, and standing on the seat I'm out of the water. I had to get wet to tie the rope onto the machine, but we got it out in about an hour. It's in my shop now, drying out. I couldn't believe the water that came out of the pipe. Blew me away.

I'll know tomorrow if all is good. Keeping my fingers crossed. I know that one thing I hate about these new sleds is all the crap you have to take off to get at anything. Just removing the airbox was an ordeal.

Pics are on their way. One of my buddies got lots of good shots, I just have to wait from him to e-mail me.

This was a wake up call for me though. Thank God I was with friends and in shallow water or this could've been nasty.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Wow....glad to hear you're o.k. Newfie, and hope all w/ the sled will be alright as well. :thumbsup:

I had a close call years ago, and since then have been quite leery of riding lakes, etc. unless there has been a major cold spell.... :unsure:

Duane

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
It snowed heavuly in Sudbury Today supposably

I am in Parry Sound for the weekend

and while I was on the pC I notice on my icons it said it was snowing heavy in Sudbury

WTF it was suppose to be +6 and rain

So I called my father and sure enuff it was snowing at a good pace about 5cm in the past hr and half

would have been a good day to ride the lakes up there

·
10,054 Posts
thats why I like to hit them in the middle of June with a tractor on site to drag them out when I sink them,,, I have found out that I am a pro when it comes to sinking them,,,, LOL

·
Registered
795 Posts
thats why I like to hit them in the middle of June with a tractor on site to drag them out when I sink them,,, I have found out that I am a pro when it comes to sinking them,,,, LOL[/b]
:lmao: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't you know dragons and water don't mix!lol
glad it was fun!
pics would be nice
make sure you get it good and dry before summer starts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Newfie...glad to hear your ok I hope your sled is ok too....

Rick

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Exactly why I don't puddle/slush/swamp/rapids/creeks.......jump/wheelie/roll/play... etc,etc,etc,,,,,,

No way I'm spending that kind of money on a machine to take that kind of a chance!

Yep, the son is right, I AM getting old :p

·
Registered
593 Posts
Exactly why I don't puddle/slush/swamp/rapids/creeks.......jump/wheelie/roll/play... etc,etc,etc,,,,,,

No way I'm spending that kind of money on a machine to take that kind of a chance!

Yep, the son is right, I AM getting old :p[/b]
Each to their own, all that matters is that your having fun.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Each to their own, all that matters is that your having fun.[/b]
I certainly was having fun, and even getting it out was kind of an adventure. Missing today's ride was a bit of a bummer though.
Will this make me stop running water? Not a chance, though I do like the idea of having an older sled to really play. They're so much easier to work on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I certainly was having fun, and even getting it out was kind of an adventure. Missing today's ride was a bit of a bummer though.
Will this make me stop running water? Not a chance, though I do like the idea of having an older sled to really play. They're so much easier to work on.[/b]

Sounds like an excuse to get another one to me, and as for making a mistake, ... IT happens with an SH in front of it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That is one thing I would NEVER do. If I wanted to hit the water - I would buy a Seadoo. I just picture the feeling of watching my $10,000 sled sink into the water and go "Well, that could have been invested a little wiser".

To each their own I guess.. I bet it is sure fun tho ;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds like fun and would like to see the pics.

Chances of damage if you stay off the deep stuff is minimal just hit the kill switch before it goes under so you don't hydrolock it. Get the engine dryed out and oiled back up asap and grease all the suspension bushings and your good to go again. Its kind of a spring ritual for me to run a few small ponds by the house to mix the stabilizer into the gas lol. :D. I usually look for ponds that cover a big area but aren't over 4ft deep in the center and average around 1.5 on the edges makes it easier to get it out if it sinks.

http://www.ndmtnsledder.com/videos/SpringRide.wmv

·
Registered
338 Posts

Yep, the son is right, I AM getting old :p[/b]
Ditto I didn't buy a SNOWmobile to ride on the water..that is what Jet ski's are for..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ditto I didn't buy a SNOWmobile to ride on the water..that is what Jet ski's are for..[/b]

Just have to say something, watercrossing on a sled is NOTHING like a jet ski. There is nothing like firing up the several hundred pound sled and head out onto the lake knowing that it doesnt float. i'm not saying its for everyone. Just nothing like a jet ski. I also prefer to do it with the older sleds, less financial burden.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
I haven't even tried it myself but would if given the chance as long as the puddle is not deeper than 3 feet, I just don't think my pig of a sled would do too well unless I was dooing at least 60mph when i hit the water which in that case would not be fun if I hit the water at the wrong angle.
Whats the biggest sled anyone has seen skip nicely over the drink?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True, sure my son would agree.

Any word on the sled Newf?[/b]
It's running again, no worse for wear. At least not that I can tell. I'm going for one more ride before I put it up for the summer, so far I've just had it running in the shop.

It is kind of a drag to have something like this happen, but really, it's just a toy, and what's the point in having a toy if you can't play with it?

I haven't even tried it myself but would if given the chance as long as the puddle is not deeper than 3 feet, I just don't think my pig of a sled would do too well unless I was dooing at least 60mph when i hit the water which in that case would not be fun if I hit the water at the wrong angle.
Whats the biggest sled anyone has seen skip nicely over the drink?[/b]
That thing will go till you run out of gas. You have no worries.

·
Registered
593 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Out for a quick ride today on Trout lake. It was kind of a sloppy day, but it was nice out on the lake. When we got to Turtle Lake narrows I started playing around having a good time hitting the water slowly and gunning it to wheelie away, then seeing how slow I good go without sinking it. (Got down to 29mph briefly, but could consistently go about 35)
We ran down Turtle lake and back, and I played a bit more on the way back.
By now we were getting a little damp from the drizzle, so we decide to head to the Portage to dry off. I figure we might as well head up through 4 mile bay so I can play on the water there too. THe narrows there are really shallow, so I figure I can afford to really play around. I pulled one really nice wheelie by putting feet right at the back of the running boards, and figure I'll try another and see how far I can carry it.

Here's where things go bad. Trying to jump off the ice I just spun out. There was no snow on the ice, and trying to leave from a dead stop 6 inches from teh edge of the ice, with the track spinning wildly, didn't give me enough of a launch to keep it going. I made it about 15 feet out and it started to go down.

Luckily the water is not deep, and standing on the seat I'm out of the water. I had to get wet to tie the rope onto the machine, but we got it out in about an hour. It's in my shop now, drying out. I couldn't believe the water that came out of the pipe. Blew me away.

I'll know tomorrow if all is good. Keeping my fingers crossed. I know that one thing I hate about these new sleds is all the crap you have to take off to get at anything. Just removing the airbox was an ordeal.

Pics are on their way. One of my buddies got lots of good shots, I just have to wait from him to e-mail me.

This was a wake up call for me though. Thank God I was with friends and in shallow water or this could've been nasty.[/b]

Water crossings are a blast, but no matter how many times you do it you never get past that sinking feeling in your stomach when you feel things start to go arye. I was crossing at the Eagles Nest (U.P.) last season and managed to hit the ice at the edge of the water putting my sled sideways, thought for sure I was going down but somehow managed to straighten it out. Gotta love the adrenaline rush :hallo1:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts