Snowmobile World banner

Please Confirm Our Suspicions

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  FIREBALL 440 
When we bought our 3 new Polaris snowmobiles from two different dealerships, they all said the same thing, you want to hit various rpms during break-in. I was told never to let it idle while there was extra oil in the tank. Letting it idle, NOT revving it, and then shutting a 2-stroke off is bad news. You have to rev in order for the oil to get "spit out" or it will build up. This is not your case (duh) but I figured I'd let you know. The idea of your burn in period is to give your engine a chance to burn off the coating protecting the cyclinders from factory. Not increasint your rpms during the burn in period means the extreme ends of the cyclinder in use during high rpms doesn't get burned in. So when you finally give it a good shot off gas, problems may occur. The idea during your break in is to hit ALL rpms, but don't hold it bar tight for too long, as until that coating is worn off it might heat up faster than normal, and conk yer engine out.

I dunno, I might be wrong there. But all the Polaris dealerships I ask have all said the same things about burn in, as did two other mechanics I talked to. It's important to hit various rpms during break in, without running the engine hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.