Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bet is that i can't get my 99 z 440 over 100mph without it being a practical sled (meaning that i could probably clutch it to hit 100, but the low end would be bad).

last winter i was hitting 93 with a clutch kit, shaved head, and a little airbox mod.

i think i should be able to hit a 100 with a good exhaust.
anyone know of anyone who makes them at a reasonable price?
i talked to d&d and they said around $700 (this is double what i want to spend)

if anyone knows of someone who makes custom exhausts that would be great.

or can i use a zr440 exhaust? will this help or hurt?
what if i get the compression close to the zr440, then would it work?

how about a zl 440 liquid cooled?

is there any difference in the z 440 sno-pro exhaust than mine?

i also thought about porting? d&d wanted $500 for that, is this high?

thanks alot for helping me with my bet
just in case you are wondering, the bet is for $100

thanks again
aaron

·
Registered
185 Posts
So you have a 440 fan cooled motor?

And you want to hit 100 mph with a fan? I'm not saying it can be done, but I don't understand why.....

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
A good set of twin pipes should get you there, but you will end up paying for it. Your best bet would be to try and find a used set, but it will still most likely run you around $500 and you will need a new clutch setup and have to rejet with the pipes. W/O pipes I'm not sure that you will be able to hit 100mph and still be "practical" as you said.
Tell him to make the bet $700 and buy the pipes, win the bet, and get them for free. ;)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Trev, you took the words out of my mouth...Aaron, you better make that more like a $1000.00 bet to make it worth your while. Even if you win the $100.00 bet, you're still losing. :D Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try changing the gearing. You may be able to get there with the correct gears, although, you will lose some low end.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Good low buck way to decent porting would to be buy a kit from Race Logic and spend a Saturday afternoon carefully following the instructions.
Just my 02.
Rick.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i would say to make the bet more for sure its not worth the 100 for it your losing at least that much make it about 300 and then it might be worth it but you could get it to 100 it would be hard but it can be done strip everything you dont need off though save you weight or take the engine out put in a speedwerx engine and dont tell him ;)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
reality check

A fancool 440 sled will never hit 100mph let alone 90mph :p LOL

Does not matter what you do

Attach a rope to a TCat is your only hope :p

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by aaron hartley@Nov 18 2002, 09:12 AM
last winter i was hitting 93 with a clutch kit, shaved head, and a little airbox mod.

"IF" this is true, then adding 7 more mph isn't that far fetched with some porting and/or pipes and proper clutching/gearing.
Again, that's assuming a true 93mph and not according to the ever so accurate cat speedo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
phazerhater or anyone else,

you said to get twin pipes, and i would love to except they do not make them for my sled. do you have an idea of who i can call for a set?
unless i by for a sno-pro, would they fit?
and if they fit, would it help?

from what little i know of 2 stroke exhaust, it has to be set up just right or else i will lose power. correct?
not like a car exhaust, where bigger is better

if i get an exhaust on it, i'm sure i can get 100mph (stock tops out at 85)

and i know overall i will be losing money, but you have to know my friend also.
he is a good guy, but sometimes he things he knows everything and it would be nice to put him in his place.

thanks again
aaron

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Heres a few things that will help a little. Loosen up the track as much as you can. Get the low windshield. That will give you a mile or two. Then find a steep hill.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It looks like this time your friend IS right, you'll never hit 100MPH on radar with that 440 fan and still keep it trailable.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by aaron hartley@Nov 19 2002, 01:48 PM
you said to get twin pipes, and i would love to except they do not make them for my sled. do you have an idea of who i can call for a set?
unless i by for a sno-pro, would they fit?
and if they fit, would it help?
I have no idea if the ZR pipes would work, but I doubt it would work correctly even if they did fit. Never actualy seen or heard of twin pipes for fan either, but your best bet would be to check with the main guys like D&D, PSI, Black Magic, etc. You would think there is something out there for it though. It's just that not many people "mod" a 440 fan....LOL
Hope you can find a way to prove your bud wrong. ;) Think he'd notice if you put your hood on my sled??hehe :devil:

·
Registered
403 Posts
They wont work-even if they did fit. The porting/compression/port timeing is WAY different between the two engines. Not only that, but the basic logic that pipe builders use and follow is that the engine must be able to put out good BTU's, or heat energy in order to squeeze any extra power out of a set of their pipes...fan cooled sleds run cooler right off the bat with richer jetting and conservitive ignition timeing, therefore if you made them run on the ragged edge, they would burn right down-because of the basic lack of cooling that is not present-ie-coolant/water mixture, which is a big aid/factor in a normal to high performance water cooled engine...

....in everyday terminology, no it will not work-if anything it will make the sled slower than what it is now.

You are really waisting your time on this one for sure...I would just swallow my pride and bet on something else that would have a better outcome.

FYI-if you think your hitting 90+ TRUE mph now, your way off. Those speedo's are way off...at least 10 mph or more. :doh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts