Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help with this 1989 polaris indy 488. The bearing is out in the drive shaft and the chain also needs to be replaced. What do I need to do to fix this. Do I drop the suspension and track or can you get to it from the outside? PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
You do not mention what side , and I do not want to say yes/no for sure. I believe you can do it without pulling the suspension . On this sled, the timing chain side bearing is set in the timing casing , so if you remove the timing chain case, you can replace the bearing on the bench. I know the guy I use, had mentioned he had made a special puller to do the NON timing chain side, so it could be done while in the machine. other wise it would be pretty tough while in the machine. I replaced tracks on a 95 xlt and a 86 indy this summer, and it was rather straight forward to get the drive shaft out.

here is a pic of the setup... http://parts.polarisind.com/images/1541%5C1541015A.gif (62 is the bearing)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the help.... But seems like that bearing is burried deep and it looks like its gonna take alot to get out.. alot of parts on both sides of it..... what do u think?

·
Registered
252 Posts
i would drop the suspension out and loosen the track to realese the presure on the jack shaft.i would order bearings for both sides its not that exspensive,and while i was at it i would replace the speedo pin that slides in the shaft on the clutch side.everytime i've canged this bearing without changing that pin i'm tearing it apart the next weekend to change it.the pin is only 6.75 at polaris dealer.changing the bearings is fairly easy and straight forward.should only take 2 hrs tops to do.i have never removed the entire chaincase housing to do it,only the outer cover.once the shaft is out its really easy.as far as clutch side just remove the rear clutch plate should be a half inch bolt.and the 3 little bolts you see remove and those bearings will fall right out,actually there will be 2 allen screws in the bearing. if you have any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
644 Posts
We've always done both jackshaft bearings in addition to the drive shaft bearings when we do the latter. Remove the suspension and the chaincase. Make sure you check the chaincase sprockets carefully if you're changing the chain. Usually, if the chain is wron enough to warrant a new one, the sprockets are also worn. I usually run a new chain on new sprockets so everything fits well and wears in together.

As long as you havee no serious corrosion problems you shouldn't have a great deal of trouble. (We ride coastally so salt is always an issue which makes these jobs a bit more than "two hour" jobs.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS ALOT FOR ALL OF THE HELP.... I WAS ASKING THIS QUESTION BECAUSE ITS A SLED THAT I WANTED TO BUY AND THE GUY WANTS $300 FOR IT SO I WANTED TO KNOW HOW MUCH WORK ITS GONNA BE TO FIX IT.. IM THINKIN IM GONNA BUY IT THO... THANKS ALOT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts