Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a 1997 formula z 583,that I have been having a problem with fowling plugs.It seems to be using too much oil,not sure why?,It seems to be coming out of the rave valves too.The machine seems to work okay when it has new plugs ,but it also smokes quite a bit.Is there some way to adjust the oil pump,or is there something wrong with my engine.Any help would be appericated,Thank you.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
First thing to do is grab a small mirror and look at the oil injection pump lever where the cable attach's to make sure the 2 alignment marks are in sync when the throttle is closed. If they are not aligned then thats the problem. Now the bad news, if the motor smokes a lot more when you start it after sitting for a couple of hours and the plugs are always oil fouled then the center crankshaft seals are leaking oil into the bottoms of the crankcases from the auxiliary shaft cavity.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
stuck oil pump, maybe.

·
4,440 Posts
Now the bad news, if the motor smokes a lot more when you start it after sitting for a couple of hours and the plugs are always oil fouled then the center crankshaft seals are leaking oil into the bottoms of the crankcases from the auxiliary shaft cavity.[/b]
he will have consuption from the tank, huh? how bad ? never seen one myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stuck oil pump, maybe.[/b]
Thanks for the info,The smoke seems worse when its first started and it clears off when its driven for a bit.I might get 3 decent rides then the next time I start it the plugs are dead.I will see if i can find the alingment marks and let you now if I make any progress tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
he will have consuption from the tank, huh? how bad ? never seen one myself.[/b]
The auxiliary drive cavity gets its oil from the injection reservoir so the drop in level is hard to monitor. The older motors and the mxzx racers with pre mix had a separate oil reservoir.

·
4,440 Posts
I remember the 87 mx , has the extra tank. I was under its hood over the summer. the 98 500 did not now that I think about it,or remember right. what year did they do away with it doc? I try not to highjack this thread again , sorry.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I remember the 87 mx , has the extra tank. I was under its hood over the summer. the 98 500 did not now that I think about it,or remember right. what year did they do away with it doc? I try not to highjack this thread again , sorry.[/b]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts