Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys gap your plugs or do you just take them out of the pack and stick em into the sled like i do??? Is there any real danger involved?? I have always done this with 4 sleds and never had a prob.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Lately I have been gapping them on the sled.  I don't bother on the car or truck though.  I don't think there should be any real danger if you don't gap them, but I think you get a cleaner, more efficient burn with them correctly gapped which in some small way is a performance gain....
  All the little things add up in the long run.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I'm not formiliar with ECS plugs, but I know ES and EYAs all come with slightly different gaps from the factory. Also, how would that be possible to have one plug pre gapped for several different motors that require different gaps?  Granted it won't be enough of a difference to realy notice, but if you go by true specs it will not be spot on for all aplications and not many plugs will come the same from the factory, like belts for sleds....  

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
You are correct z800rtx the ecs's come pre gapped and need no adjustment .  The es's  doo have different gaps from the factory. Set at .18 .

·
Registered
167 Posts
i always gap them i have had br9es with gaps rangeing from .27to .35 and i want the same spark kernel in all cylinders

·
Registered
165 Posts
from the factory to you plugs get handled by a dozen diferent people things happen boxes fall and get bumped so i think its a good idea to atleast check

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Ski-doo has recommended that you gap your plugs at .018"

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I allways check the gap.  If the gap on a plug is opened to much you could fry the ignition systems.  And if the gap is two close the spark will be small and cold and in a snowmobile that is not good.  

Always put the gap to .018 unless otherwise stated.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I always check the gap on new plugs! Like tsouth said, these things go through alot of hands before they get to yours so to be certain I would check em, only takes a second.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
For the time and effort it takes, why would you risk it.  Always check.  

FishHog

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I finally got a spark plug gapper so I now gap my plugs before I put them in. I haven't had to regap much though and I don't really know if it actually helps but it shouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
668 Posts
good plug story....

beginning of this year, i sold my 97mxz583 to a beginner snowmobiler.  The new owner called me a month later and claims he went through 10 spark plugs in one weekend!  (it never fowled one when i owned it)  I agreed to take a look at it.  I cleaned and re-synced the carbs for him and it still fowled out a set.  I then pulled the plugs out and noticed he was not gapping them!  

Most NGK plugs come gapped in the mid 30's (.030-.033)  skidoo requires .018 because of their timming.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I foul a plug I just take it out of the box and screw it in.  I dont think there are any problems with doing it.  I think the factory that makes the plugs does a good enough job at gapping the plugs.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Your right, they do a great job of gapping them at the factory.  Only problem, is you don't know what machine they gapped them for.

Maybe you have something that runs at the factory gap, but for the time it takes, it not worth it not to check.

But to each his own.

FishHog

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I wonder what damage to the MPEM could occur by using too large a gap? I've read where they say not to pull your motor over if the kill switch is on and the plug wires aren't grounded. That'll kill a CDI unit pretty quick.

You toast the MPEM, they check your plugs and the gap is wide open say bye bye to the warranty claim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts