Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased one of these for my kids and the thing likes to creep at idle and doesn't always disengage the clutch when you get off the throttle.

How do you break the chain and adjust the clutch on this mini sleds?

Thanks, McGreg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased one of these for my kids and the thing likes to creep at idle and doesn't always disengage the clutch when you get off the throttle.

How do you break the chain and adjust the clutch on this mini sleds?

Thanks, McGreg.[/b]
My kids had a 120 for a few years so I have some experience. The answer is it depends. First, the chain has a master link that you can disassemble if you need do that. If you have a stock clutch, it isn't adjustable (to the best of my memory). The previous owner may have zip tied the governor spring to get a bit more performance and this may be causing just enough rpm to engage the clutch. Snip the zip tie and if you want to reinstall a new one, just don't cinch it down as tightly.

If the clutch is after market like the one I bought, it can be removed and it contains three springs. The clutch I had came with 3 sets of three springs. Each set had a different engagement rpm. Yo simply replace one set of springs with another (say, install a set with a higher engagement rpm.). I don't remember the color coding, but some experimentation should do the trick.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

Boegey

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Boegey!

I don't know if it's an aftermarket clutch or not....divorcee sale sold by the wife and she didn't know much about it. I wasn't actually able to even start it until I got it home.

I didn't see any zip ties on the governor springs but I'll have a second look. How do I take the master link apart? Do I push a pin out like on a bike chain?

I've never messed with my chain case, I just clean it and lube.

If it's a stock clutch then I'll need to get the revs down; is there any adjustment on the carb?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Boegey!

I don't know if it's an aftermarket clutch or not....divorcee sale sold by the wife and she didn't know much about it. I wasn't actually able to even start it until I got it home.

I didn't see any zip ties on the governor springs but I'll have a second look. How do I take the master link apart? Do I push a pin out like on a bike chain?

I've never messed with my chain case, I just clean it and lube.

If it's a stock clutch then I'll need to get the revs down; is there any adjustment on the carb?

Thanks for the help![/b]
The master link has a clip on the side. Similar to an e-clip. Slide the clip off the link and then the pins will pull out. The hardest part is spotting the link in the chain.

To the best of my memory there is an idle adjustment screw. (It is a simple carb and probably only has one screw but in any case try adjusting it with the engine running and count the turns - this will enable you to return the screw to its original setting if needed.)

By the way, your governor has three settings that you can select. One hole for 4 mph, one for 6mph, and one for 8 mph. If you zip tie the gov. spring (overriding the gov. I believe you get about 12 mph.) After that, a gear swap and an after market clutch is needed. I went this route and with a stock motor (no head shaving or alcohol) we had ours doing 18 mph but we lost a bit of grunt at the bottom end.

Boegey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts