Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant find complete description. I have an 02 xc7. The few miles I got to ride it seemed to run hot. But never really got it broken in 250 miles. Over summer have modifying it. slp pipe,air box mod,flw rites,jetting,and clutching. Anyway should I persue this bulletin or does it pertain to my sled?
                                              Pnewbern

·
Registered
34 Posts
The recall from what I understand is for the XC 600 with the M-10 suspension. They had cooling issues on that model. I have an 02 XC 800 ( Edge rear sus.) that over heated on me twice, but I was on ice and the snow was like ice it, was hard to break through the snow to get any powder on the heat exchangers. Other than those 2 times I never had a problem. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer what they think, go to hardcoresledder .com he has the details posted for the recall, but like I said it's for the XC600. Still some good info. though. Good luck. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Newborn, what issue are you talking about??

Heard there were issues w/the snowflap not being long enough to keep snow in tunnel.  Supposedly, later production models were given the longer flap and bulletin went to dealers concerning the earlier '02's.  It will also overheat and act like a piston meltdown if you leave it idle more than a few minutes.  But the piston is fine, it's a built-in safety measure (kinda like a limp-home mode) that can be remied by the dealer, possibly by bleeding the cooling system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think that it was mainly the 600's with the M10...

My 700 only got hot on glare ice
I'm putting a longer flap on also.. people can't ride behind me as I kick up one #### of a rooster tail!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF YOU GO TO BULITENS ON THIS SIGHT AND TRY TO OPEN THIS BULLITEN IT WONT OPEN. THUS THE QUESTION COMES FOR ME?                                  PNEWBERN

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pnewbern @ Sep. 25, 2002, 12:17pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IF YOU GO TO BULITENS ON THIS SIGHT AND TRY TO OPEN THIS BULLITEN IT WONT OPEN. THUS THE QUESTION COMES FOR ME?                                  PNEWBERN[/b][/quote]
This all works on the new site, but for now, here is a copy of SAF0203:

SAF-02-03 - Polaris EDGE 500/600 VES - Overheat

Polaris Industries Inc. has been receiving calls regarding overheat conditions on Polaris EDGE snowmobiles equipped with domestic 500/600 VES liquid cooled twin engines. The domestic twin engine was derived from the race proven 440 domestic twin and has proven itself to be one of the most reliable and powerful engine bases in the sport of snowmobiling.

Review the check list provided below which includes inspection items that have been identified as possible causes through engineering testing and dealer feedback. Liquid cooled snowmobiles require adequate amounts of snow for cooling. Hard snow, windswept snow, icy snow, hard packed trails, or marginal overall snow may be inadequate for proper cooling.

If you are experiencing engine overheating symptoms please review the following

1) Keep Idle periods to a minimum (less than 5 minutes)

2) If the TEMP light comes on but the engine is not overheating, inspect the thermistor. The thermistor should read 192 +/- 30 ohms at 212 degrees F (100 degrees C) in a water bath.

3) Check to see if the coolant surge tank is distorted. Look closely at the pressure cap seat. If distorted, replace.

4) Verify that the coolant system will hold at least 12 psi of pressure. If the cap cannot hold at least 12 psi of pressure, the systemwill overheat very quickly. The coolant may boil in an otherwise normal operating temperature range disrupting thermistor readings to the CDI box.

5) Bleed the system correctly and completely. The system should be bled of any trapped air using the following procedure:

Allow the system to cool completely. Fill the reservoir with coolant to the maximum indicated mark.

Apply parking brake and install the pressure cap and run the engine at specified idle RPMuntil the thermostat opens. Once the thermostat opens raise the front or tilt machine slightly on its left side so that the coolant bottle is the highest point in the cooling system. Cycle the RPM from idle to enough RPM (4000) to get coolant to flow but not enough RPM to engage the clutch. It is important to get enough coolant flow to purge the air from the crossover hose or rear cooler and observe this air reaching the bottle.

Loosen the bleed screw at the top of the water outlet manifold until trapped air has been purged. Tighten the bleed screw. Turn off the machine and release parking brake. Allow the system to cool completely. Recheck coolant level after the cap has been removed and add coolant to fill line if necessary.

6) Check the TPS specification and make sure it is between 3.9 and 4.0 volts at wide open throttle. Use TPS
tool PN 2201519.

7) Ensure the customer is driving in adequate snow conditions for cooling. Trail riding on hard pack while occasionally dipping into powder may not generate enough snow on the heat exchangers to keep the engine cool.

8) Slower speeds may not generate enough through-hood air ventilation. Inspect the hood vents for obstruction. Removal of the hood vents may aid in ventilation.

9) Inspect the hi-fax for excessive wear, which may be an indication of snow and cooling conditions. If the hi- fax are worn, it may be due to inadequate snow conditions.

10) Make sure track tension is set to specification. Track tension specifications are: 3/8-1/2”, 16” ahead of rear idler shaft with 10 lb. weight for EDGE. 1/2-3/4”, 16” ahead of rear idler shaft free hanging for M-10.

11) Adjust the suspension settings to the specified SAG for the customer. This procedure is outlined on the decal located on the underside of the hood, any 2002 Snowmobile Owners Manual or Performance Service Manual PN 9917367.

12) Remove existing snow flap and Install new longer snow flap PN 5433521-1106, and 5 rivets PN 7621472. This longer snow flap keeps snow in the tunnel longer enhancing cooling.

IMPORTANT: The possibility exists that the new snow flap (PN 5433521-1106) may become damaged when operating unit in reverse or when backing unit off of a trailer. Use caution to ensure snow flap does not curl under the tunnel when backing up the snowmobile.

Use fail code 6227.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
And a copy of SAF0204:

SAF-02-04 - 2002 500 / 600 EDGE with M-10 - Overheat

The possibility exists that after performing Service Alert Directive SAF-02-03, some of the units may still exhibit overheating issues in some riding conditions.

If you find that the overheating issue still persists have dealer install kit PN 2202143. Please perform all items thoroughly and completely. Read and understand the kit instructions completely before attempting the procedure.

Models Affected:

2002 500 / 600 EDGE with M-10 Suspension S02NE5CS (500 XC SP M-10), S02NE6ES (600 XC SP M-10), S02ND6ES (600 Classic)

Parts Required:

1 Cooler Kit, EDGE PN 2202143

Use fail code 6513.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
SAF0206 is an extension of SAF0203 until January 31, 2003.

S-03-01 is a brake caliper production update kit for

Model(s)

600 CLASSIC S03ND6ES
600 XC SP S03NP6ESB
700 XC SP S03NP7CSA SN1NP7CS03C319955
700 XC SP S03NP7CSB

0301 is hot off the press. It isn;t even added to the new site yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hay Thanks,
   I will rest eaisy. The 700 isnt in this catagory.Still Iwill watch for bullitens. CANT WAIT TO JUST RIDE!
                                           PNEWBERN

·
Registered
138 Posts
Talked to my dealer and Polaris is changing snoflap for any overheating problems. M10s had the most problems since they sit higher. There is an additional heatexchanger available from Polaris. If you are uncertain, watch temp. If it gets close put the additional heat exchanger on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts