Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The problem I seem to be having is that I have to rev my motor a little higher to engage the track. Not sure if this is normal or if I did something wrong.

I did loosen the track in order to get some play for the chaincase switch. Other then that, everything seems to be back to normal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, liv.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If I understand this question, you've changed out your chaincase for some reason? I can't think of anything you could have done in that process to change engagement speed. The only thing you could have done is maybe raise the rpm necessary to actually start turning the track. To do that, you had to increase the drag in the drive system some how - like maybe overtightening the chain? Even with that, unless extreme, I'm not sure how noticable that might be just looking at that tach.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I understand this question, you've changed out your chaincase for some reason? I can't think of anything you could have done in that process to change engagement speed. The only thing you could have done is maybe raise the rpm necessary to actually start turning the track. To do that, you had to increase the drag in the drive system some how - like maybe overtightening the chain? Even with that, unless extreme, I'm not sure how noticable that might be just looking at that tach.[/b]
Could it be a worn belt? As the belt wears and narrows, wouldn't this possibly cause a higher rpm clutch engagement? Just throwing out some thoughts.

Boegey

·
Registered
644 Posts
At this time of year, I would suspect something "sticky" in the weights, rollers, pins, bearings/sleeves, sheaves, etc. - probably in the primary clutch. If that thing sat exposed to weather or dampness over the summer, it may have some corrosion causing stickiness. Of course, if it has miles on it with little or no maintenance, it would be a good idea to inspect as well. In either case, look it over. Pulling the clutch and its cover is a good, failry simple way to look things over. It takes the spring tension out of the picture and makes weight wobble and roller issues much easier to diagnose. You can also check the bearing on the cover plate for excess play on the shaft it slides on. That will also get you if it binds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts