Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate all your comments and information on these two machines.

I will be buying either one of these machines ('03) and just don't know which one to get.

Which is faster, which has more top end, etc, etc, etc.
They coin for the same price, have similar features and put out similar horsepower. (660- 53hp) (780- 48hp).

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
in my experience the Cat is smoother (less vibration) and more responsive.  also, Poo had some issue with overheating of the Frontier.  Hopefully it will be rectified for the 03 models. they are both surprisingly fun to ride (if you are not in a rush) but I would definitely take that Cat.  Besides, it has a nicer sound.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
And there is a turbo kit for the cat 4 stroker! My friend tried them for fun in yellowstone and liked both but said the cat was much better in every way, he'd but the cat if he were to buy one.
Caleb

·
Registered
46 Posts
Panasnyc,
I bought my wife an 02 Cat 4Stroke trail and overall she liked it, however we did have a problem, it was with the hood closed the temp gauge would rub on the intake manifold. This went on for a while before we figured out what was going on and by then it had almost rubbed a hole in the manifold.
This has not happened on all 4Strokes and Arctic Cat was not real helpful at first in making a long term fix. They did finally agree to replace all warn parts and replace the hood with the temp gauge hole drilled a little higher.
We had no problems starting at temps as low -25f  and she got great gas milage (23mpg). The 2002 had about a 45hp engine and the best we could get out of it was about 55mph.
I'm looking at doing the turbo mod to this sled if I could ever get MC-Xpress to answer my emails or phone calls. This would boost the hp to 80+ which would make it a great sled.
Overall it's a good sled for her but I would not buy one for myself until they come out with more horses or if this turbo mode works out.
Paul

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Panasync.  Why dont you also consider the skidoo legend 1000 4 stroke.  

It is claimed to have simular power to a 500 twin 2 stroke and it think it is very well set up with excellent fit and finish.  

I wouldnt buy the polaris for the fact that it is a single cyinder thumper.  and the cat is ok but very slow.

The doo is were its at.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
 It is one sweet sled but it isn't a cruiser like the cat and PO-pull me !  And before you off on a binge that only you can DOO Machzzzz1 let me explain!!!!
 He's looking for a touring style sled, for his wife. The formulas ride nice and handle great but not like trail tourer. Glad to see your still trying to get people to Doo it!
Caleb

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Machzzzz1, The Frontier is not a single cylinder sled.  It is a twin, and the pistons move up and down in unison.  They chose this design supposedly to make the engine more compact.

What is supposed to be the power of a 500 twin?  I've been completely unable to get power specs for much of anything from Bomardier.  Makes it tough to keep them in consideration when they are the only ones not advertising the hp of their new engine.  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Bombardier doesnt play the HP game.  

Arctic cat thundercat made 170 somthing.  The mach z made between 145 and 160 and still beat the tcat. What does that tell you.

HP means very little between compairable models.  

When i say simular power to a 500.  I ment simular performance.  

IMO.  The Arctic cat and Polaris 4 strokes are pathetic.  They have no style and there engines are just jammed in there.  Bombardier designed this engine just for a snowmobile and it has many advantages.  

One advantage is.  Because it is in a v configuration it keeps the center of gravity lower and eliminates the need for a balance shaft.  

It also uses sequential efi so you save on fuel and get better persision with fuel delivery.  Its turn key and go.

The engine also has heated throttle body and sound cool.  Not RX1 cool but cool.  

If you look at panasyncs post he asks.

Which has the most top end. Ans- Skidoo

Which Accels Faster Ans- Skidoo

Which is the only 4 stroke touring sled that looks and has good performance - Skidoo.

If you need a touring get a Grand touring sled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've ridden several different Jap V-twin bikes and a couple of Harleys.  I gotta say....I HATE the kind of power V-twins make. If you lug them you feel every pulse as it fires...and they go flat when you try and rev them. 4 strokers...and in particular v-twin 4 strokers do not belong in sleds. 1000cc twins mean one thing..a tall motor...better to spread the weight horizontal on a short stroke in-line 3 or 4 cyl.  Oh and stated above....the Mach Z's are fast...right there man..but despite some stories you may have to tell....a stock.. but properly tuned T-Cat is your WORST nightmare...
Stories claiming 150hp is faster than 170 hp is what started this RX-1 crap. It's physics man...denile just ain't a river in Egypt.  

Oh....and by the way..I'm NOT defending that piece of  crap sewing machine sounding poor excuse for a sled AC has put out...It was built for one reason..to keep the tree huggers happy...not because it's a good sled.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Oh the spice's this site has! I love these warm
hearted "Discusion's" we have! Don't heat it u o much guy's, it'll melt the snow beforeit hits the ground!!

Caleb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts