Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started up the 650 today and it idled fine. Took it off the skid and decided to take it for a boot. It started to idle down abit, i hit the throttle abit but bogged a little to get it back up. It idled fine again. Got on it and wouldnt move very far at all. Basically was a smoke show. Any ideas why its doing this? I called a shop and said that the choke cables like to stick. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
348 Posts
It could be that or it could be that youre using the last year's fuel and carbs are all gummed up. Give the carbs a good cleaning and dump out the old fuel and add in the fresh ones. It should be running better after you do this - WL

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Being jetted for cold weather also means that the jetting is super rich for warm weather. I have had sleds unable to make enough power to move simply because the temps were so hot the air/fuel mix was hopelessly rich. It gets better when it's cold and white outside :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be hard to set the carbs once I clean them? I've never set a triple so I'm nervous that I won't do it right.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's not a huge challenge. Once clean, set the air screw to 1 turn out from lightly seated. With the slides back in the barrels and the air box off, make sure that all three carb slides lift at the same time and when the throttle is wide open, the slides all clear the intake. For an initial idle adjustment, back off the idle screws until they are just touching the slide, then turn them in two turns. I always start the engine on a stand after messing with carbs, if the idle is way high, you won't want the sled taking off on you. That would not be good ;)

There are devices you can use to fine tune but I always did it by ear; adjusting all three carbs equally for best idle on the air screw, then adjusting all three equally for the RPM you want.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Uni-Sync-Carb-Syncronizing-Tool-ICT-FRD-Kadron-p/7033.htm

When reinstalling the choke plungers, you will want to make sure there's about 1/8" of freeplay in the choke lever. Also take a look at the plunger itself. Sometimes the seat on the bottom is so deteriorated it won't make a good seal and that carb will always be running rich.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is the clutch engaging when it bogs? Almost sounds like you have the parking brake on.

Was the smoke real stinky like burning rubber?

Lift the back end up and see if you can get it to move the track.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Would it be hard to set the carbs once I clean them? I've never set a triple so I'm nervous that I won't do it right.
As said, it isn't terribly hard. However, getting some help from someone that has done it a number of times before will help you learn how to do it in a way where you're comfortable.

Don't try adjusting them until the temps drop, however. If you set it up to run well now, you're going to burn VERY lean when the temps drop and you could damage the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts