Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 90 indy 500 that runs great from 0 to wide open.  If you let off the throttle and get back on it, the secondary seems to bind up.  Cleaned all of the clutch but on the center shaft that is embedded in to one of the halfs it looks like some took a hammer and knicked one side of it.  I know I can replace the bushings but I think it is also the Shaft.  Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There are also two bushings on the movable sheave ,one around the helix and one around the shaft.If you can find a good Cat roller secondary cheap this is the better way to go.I installed one on my prox600 and the dif is much better also cheaper than an after market roller just as good.This is the only thing that I will own that says Cat on it and since Polarises roller sucks I don't no about the new team performance roller, I will use the Cat secondary .

·
Registered
308 Posts
On a secondary that old you'll undoubtedly need to get the clutch apart to maintain it properly. Turn the sheaves against each other so that neither is in contact with the helix. Press the helix onto the shaft. Kroil works better than anything else I've tried to help it move if it's stuck. A little heat may also work. In either case, once the helix is in, clamp it if it wants to come back out so that you can dress up the end of the shaft (remove the big clip), polish the shaft with emory, and pull it apart. Once you're inside you can inspect the parts, find out what's binding and replace whatever needs replacing. They're not that tough to work on unless they're really stuck. Patience is the key if the helix won't move.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take your secondary apart.  Face it down with the helix facing upwards.  If you can't push the helix down try giving it a solid smack with a rubber mallet.  Hold it down and with some snap-ring pliers take the c-clip off.  Be sure to hold onto the helix so you can look in and see which holes the spring is in..  Your spring could be weak and not giving you the back shift or the bushings where the helix rides could be worn out.  If you can see silver through the gold of the bushing it is time to replace.  Same goes for the little one on the front.  Clean it check the buttons and try it from there.  Remember to give the helix a quarter turn when you put it back in.  It needs to be pretentioned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts