Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good service manual for my 98 XLT LTD. As I'm new to Polaris there are many things I used to do that I now have no idea. One such thing is cleaning the carbs, I always had primers on the Doo's but this one has an enricher and I don't know how to set it up so I'm hesitant to take them apart. I don't want to take it out until at least I've gone over it and performed the pre-season service.

I will say 1 thing that Xtra 12 has more adjustments than my last 2 sleds combined.

I believe in fixing and adjusting in the comforts of the shop instead on the trail so maintenance is very dear to me.

One thing my buddy and I have noticed as we've gone over these sleds is the quality of the components. I really like the way Polaris puts these things together. We were equally impressed with his new 2002 700 XC, very functional. Big learning curve from the old Doo's to Polaris.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The choke cables pull up plungers to richen the starting mixture. Leave the throttle alone when using them until after it starts. If the machine is cold, there is no big hurry to to flip the choke off. Leave it on for a few seconds. As far as what to look for adjusting them, the big thing is to make sure the plungers are completely released when the choke is not being used. Big time richness will occur on the cylinders where the plunger is not free to go all the way down to it's seat. Properly adjusted the cable should have about 1/8" slack (or free play) to insure the plungers are not being held off their seats. A couple of common problems I see on occasion - corroded plunger/bores. These can be a huge pain to free up, especially when neglected to the point where the choke cable has actually broken trying to get the plunger to move. The other is the choke lever itself. They break easily and when you least expect it. Very common problem with any Mikuni equipped triple. Cary an extra kit, usually less than 5 dollars and easy to come by.

AL

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Al,

Sounds stupid but I didn't actually know how the choke worked. When I bought it the fella just flicked it up gave her a yank and away she went. This sled is as close to brand new as you can get with miles on it so I was to say the least very proud of my purchase. When we got it home I wanted to light her up so my buddy and I could hear her purr. Well I flipped the lever up and pulled and pulled and pulled, no go. We had checked all the usual things (doo things that is like where is the tether) and stiil no go. By now I thought I was going to hurl. My buddy, feeling bad for me (who also just switched to a new Polaris - XC 700 and got his from the dealer right before we went out to get mine) says does that thing there go up higher, well I flipped the choke up over center and she lit immediately. Well to say the least I was relieved but then the thought occurred, I had better get a manual and go over it in case their is something bigger out their just waiting to bite me.

The thing with our doo's is I usually knew what to look for when something went wrong as I was familiar with them and knew the quirks.

I'll add the choke lever to the spare parts list. These are the things we take for granted with our Doo's, you get to know what breaks and what to carry. Things such as skid bolts and washers.

I did notice last night while checking the carbs that the carb boots have hair line cracks in them, I'm replacing these as well. I had two on my sons old Safari do this and actually was all the way through. The sled never ran better, but you know what they say about a lean 2 stroke, it never ran better than right before she grenaded. I changed them in advance as I caught it in my mid season inspection.

As they say don't ### U ME anything.

Thanks and have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just a guess, but I'm thinking if you have to go over center, there is too much slack in those cables...but if it works as is, should be OK

AL

·
Registered
52 Posts
for manuals you can buy a service manual from your dealer it volume 3 covers all sleds from 1996 to 1998 cost about $80.00 that covers every thing on polaris sleds. a parts book is available#9914303.
as for starting, i own 3 different sleds they all start different.you just got to learn what the sled likes and when.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts