Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer just got back from the Polaris dealer meeting in Florida where they unveiled the 2003 watercraft.  

They have a direct injected 1200 tripple 2-stroke that puts out 140 HP  and a 150 HP Turbo charged fuel injected 800 twin 4-stroke that a few of the engineers said will be in the sleds in the very near future.  Apparently because it's a new engine they want it tested first.  PWC's are very hard on engines, if it works there, it'll work in a sled.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't think the numbers are right - Mighty

I mean, a 1200cc Di 2-stroke and it only puts out 140 ponies?

I can get that much out of my 600 triple/triple - no BS

sounds pretty low to me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Your right Mighty, the numbers are in the report. Doesn't sound like such a great improvement over the Genesis i?

They already have a 1165cc Di engine that puts out 135 ponies (genisis i). Now they bump up the displacement 35cc and brand it a "high output?". Thats a real joke!

If your going to hit the market hard with a "high output" it should have dramatic increases over the previous year model - not a flimsy 3-1/2% increase. It should be at least 10-12% increase.

In my opinion, it's like comparing a firefly and a firefly-turbo. Not much to look at.

Sorry about the lack of good manners towards Polaris, but truth is I have been a loyal Polaris rider for many years, and time after time after time they seem to be behind in the new technology department. All of my buddies are Ski-doo riders, so I hear about all the good new ideas from them. At least their brand can come out with 800 SDI engine that produce same hp levels as the Pre-DI engines. I know SDI is not a full DI conversion, but I trust they will find a was to keep hp numbers high.

Just upset, was expecting more.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you on the DI engine, but I believe the real story is the 800 twin.  4-stroke, fuel injected turbo putting out 150 HP.  That's pretty #### good if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madsledhead @ Aug. 01, 2002, 4:59pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your right Mighty, the numbers are in the report. Doesn't sound like such a great improvement over the Genesis i?

They already have a 1165cc Di engine that puts out 135 ponies (genisis i). Now they bump up the displacement 35cc and brand it a "high output?". Thats a real joke!

If your going to hit the market hard with a "high output" it should have dramatic increases over the previous year model - not a flimsy 3-1/2% increase. It should be at least 10-12% increase.

In my opinion, it's like comparing a firefly and a firefly-turbo. Not much to look at.

Sorry about the lack of good manners towards Polaris, but truth is I have been a loyal Polaris rider for many years, and time after time after time they seem to be behind in the new technology department. All of my buddies are Ski-doo riders, so I hear about all the good new ideas from them. At least their brand can come out with 800 SDI engine that produce same hp levels as the Pre-DI engines. I know SDI is not a full DI conversion, but I trust they will find a was to keep hp numbers high.

Just upset, was expecting more.[/b][/quote]
Something to remember though.  They are doing the slightly higher power WITH major improvements in emissions.  You say that you can get the same numbers out of your 800.  I wouldn't doubt that for a second.  The crud coming out of the pipe though.... you'll never meet their requirements without MAJOR engineering to that regard, and the requisite amount of bux to do it.  Remeber, the EPA is breathing down the necks of recreational vehicle manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
And everyone needs to remember that these machines make more torque down low and with a wider powerband. A sled motor is designed differently in that reguard. Isn't the Polaris DI licensed from Bombard. since Bombard. bought out OMC?
Caleb

·
Registered
138 Posts
MSX Web Site Here it is, the offical tech stats!! It is a 750 turbo 4 stroke w/150hp

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
WOW, what a machine! I'm going to check on one come the end of the winter. That's a lot of ponies running free for a 750cc motor. And it looks incredible in that silver color. The pwc market is definetly going to see more sales for this year and especially next I bet.
Caleb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts