Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post a while back about polishing tunnels.I polished mine last winter before riding,and just did it again the other day,looks great,I used "EagleOne Mag and aluminum polish",a couple clean rags(socks work great) and some elbow grease,works good on pipe,belt guard and the machinned surfaces on your head cover,even works on chaincase (with ALOT of elbow grease).
Now if only I could keep it shiney all winter.......

Attachments

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Looks very nice.

I just did my chaincase cover when I had it off on the weekend. Looks good, but makes everything else look dull, so I have alot more polishing to do.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It didnt tarnish or discolor,but it did get dull and dirty before winter was over.I just picked up some spray and wash aluminum cleaner,I'll try that this winter,if that dosnt work to keep it shiney,I'll just re polish it,its easier the second time (1/2 the work)

·
Registered
310 Posts
How do you do that????

·
Registered
328 Posts
looks awesome. I polished my tunnel 6 times last winter. Like you said it is much easier after the first time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What do you use to polish it?? nevermind, i just re-read the first post!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did not have much to do since we didn't get crap for snow down here. My first ride in iowa last season was the first week of Feb. My rides were spaced about 1 month apart first ride was in the U.P. the first week of Jan and I was back in the U.P. again March 10-17. That March trip was perfect though and erased many bad memories from last year. Needless to say I had plenty of time to polish. Sledcrazy, I use a product called Blue Magic along with Mothers mag polish. I get this stuff at wal-mart.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've had good luck with mothers... but any metal polish works pretty well. Just look in the auto section at walmart, or go to your local auto parts store, they will probably have some sort of metal polish. My dad has this black and decker rechargable spinning scrub brush thingy that we put a pad on and douse it with polish paste, then use that to polish sleds... my dad goes nuts with it, he has lots more time to do it.... his 92 polaris looks like it just came off the showroom floor, running boards, clutch cover, chaincase, engine... any exposed aluminum on his sled has been polished.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After polishing the tunnel, try spraying it with clear coat, then when it gets dirty just wash it - clean and shiny no more polishing!!! Works great, I do that to the aluminum on my 18 wheeler. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
REVSTER : How well does the clearcoat stick to the smooth surface? How long does it last before it starts to peal or flake? AND how much of a job is it to make it look good again if the clear coat comes off?
I had thought about doing that ,but I didnt dare,i've seen bad things happen with clearcoat....

·
Registered
108 Posts
For the clear coat to stick, make sure it is really clean. I used a product from a company named ZEP. It's called formula 166, or they also have a spray in a can for coating battery terminals that is clear, I use that for touch ups. It usually lasts a couple of years, but don't really know how long it will last when standing on running boards. I'm going to try it on my new REV if it ever gets here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you ordered the REV X... good luck trying to polish the tunnel. With the tunnel re-inforcement bracket in the way, its impossible to polish all the little spots... would look goofy if you polished some parts and left others as is. Its too bad as I wanted to polish mine... a buddies Polaris is all polished... looks real sharp.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have gotten blood on the job from the tunnel reinforcements on my sled. It is very very very time consuming. I use Q-tips to get into all those little spots.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OH YEAH.... BE CAREFUL...WATCH YOUR FINGERS AND KNUCKLES....like 2tone said,its easy to draw blood doing this if your not carefull !! I have a couple slices and some scuffed knuckles from doing this ( running board edge grips) (and the holes in footwells will suck your fingers right in) !!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks Great!! After looking at your Pics i'm thinking of polishing my sled now! :) :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts