Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any body done this and how did u do it what did u use.?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I want to hear about this also as i plan on doing mine and all of the other aluminum parts. And what about polishing the cylinders and cases then powder coating them clear or powder coating them a color?
Caleb

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2002 MXZ800sport that i polished the tunnel once. I use'd the red rouge then a mother's polish then a sealer like you would use on car wheels. Works good but only last a couple months then you have to redo it.The cylinders and case's I would get them powder coated. Would stand up to oil a dirt better. Just my 2 cents worth  

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I polished the tunnel on my mxz 700 with mothers mag polish and gouged my hands and it took all afternoon.Today I bought a buffer attachment for my drill as the buffer I have is too big and some autosol metal polish.My dad always swore by this stuff to polish metal.I will post picks of it when it is done.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I also use the Mother's mag polish. Use a buffer or a drill attachment. the results are nice it almost looks like chrome, however you will have to redo it every few weeks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have used a product called Blue Magic, it is a liquid and it works well.  I have also used Mothers mag polish too.  Polishing my running boards is not much fun do to the running board stiffners, lots of little places to get big fingers into.  Once you do polish them they corrode very easily especially getting trailered down salty roads.  After the first time I sprayed my boards with a greasy film to protect the aluminum.  Last year I polished my tunnel 5 or 6 times taking 2-3 hours per time.  Lots of work but it does look nice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i use polishing wheels(usually a three step process)      you can buy them at many auto detailing shops and semi supply stores.     start off with the coarse one to get all the oxidation off, then do to the finer to get it shiny and them the last one to get rid of all the polishing scratches.      this gets the tunnel looking like it was dipped.      then just finish off with something like Alcoa Aluminum wheel sealer     and your done, and it usually holds up all winter, if not just use an aluminum wheel polish to get it looking new again

·
Registered
387 Posts
Blue Magic works excellent, it actually reacts chemically with the aluminum. After applying, it leaves a black residue, buff it off and you get the shine you are looking for. A 4.5" buffer makes the job easy. It almost looks like chrome when finished.

Then I paint the aluminum with clear lacquer from a spray can. It keeps the sled looking great all winter. Clear lacquer is real easy to use, as long as you don’t let it run, it looks real nice.

just my 2c

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Mother's Mag Polish works great.  The first time you polish takes hours, but after that, you can do a good job on the running boards, pipe and clutch cover in about an hour.  I do mine about 5 times a winter.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Started doing mine the other day. Got all supplies at Home Depot. A 4" cloth buffing wheel and jewelers rouge. Using my die grinder w/ the 4" wheel and it looks like chrome. Very little effort to. Pulled the seat so I wouldn't damage it. It leaves a black residue on everything but cleans up pretty good. I don't have a dig. camera or I would post some pics.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Good idea with the seat removal Butch800.  I'm gonna send Ladyk out to polish her gade. Shes got all the gear now. Will take some before and after pics

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
wow nice job ladyk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Where do you buy a buffer attachment for a drill?  Your tunnel looks awesome, how much time was involved using the buffer?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I bought the cheesy buffer attachment for the drill at Canadian Tire.I hate to tell you this but it worked crappy. I polished the whole thing by hand.I started at around 4:30 and finished at 7:00 but stopped part way to make dinner.I only gouged my knuckles once this time.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
That looks great.

I might just have to get the polish out and do some work.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Fishhog- use autosol, last year I used Mothers mag polish and i found the autosol worked better with less labour.It just takes a little elbow grease.The blacker the autosol turns when applying the shinnier the finnished result was.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts