Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 zr700 with 1200 miles on it. It's getting about 7 mpg and was really slow. With the recalls done (yellow green spring, cdi change, rejetting etc. ) it performed a little faster but the fuel wasn't much different. I read in SnowTech Magazine about a place called Dakota Performance who claimed to have a clutch kit to get the sled to 12 mpg and 5 sled lengths faster but I cannot get a hold of anyone there. Does anyone have any idea what to change on this sled. What jetting, needle, clutch weight, helix spring etc. should be at. What pipes needed. (Specific brands on all parts) I would like to see this thing perform like most say it can.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The factory update parts do make some difference but still left lots to be gained in both performance and mileage.
On both my 99 and 00 ZR-7's I purchased a Goodwyn clutch kit, installed it to their specs, gutted the air box and jetted down from the factory update as required. Make sure your dealer has moved the needle to the updated position.
With these mods it will perform as well as any other similar year 700 from the other mfgs in fact you won't beleive your riding the same sled. As for fuel mileage, 12 is not realistic. You should see in the 9-10 range after mods as both mine did.
Best part is these mods are a big bang for little bucks.
Enjoy
Rick.

:D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You need the new issue oif SNOW-Tech. they had a guy write in that was getting 7.5mpg and they gave him advise to get it up to 12.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
They can write as many articles as they want, theres no way those things get that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 99 ZR 600 with only a clutch kit that use to get only 7 or 8 mpg. First I dropped 2 jet sizes with little improvement. Then my buddy showed me this article about e-clips this simple change bumped me into the teens and I haven't blown it up yet. Have you tried this! If not I'll post instructions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok here is what I know about e-clip sometimes called c-clips:
(Use at your own risk!)

It's an internal part of your flat slide Mikuni carb that controlls mid-range fuel flow. It's to the mid range what the main jet is to high end. But since most riding is done in the mid range when you change jets you don't ever see much gain in mpg. At least I don't. Unless your wide open on the lakes all day. Now lets see if I remember how to adjust the e-clip:

1. No need to remove the carbs for this one. Just remove the top covers.

2. Then you need a small allen wrench (metric I think) to loosen the retaining arm that holds the jet needle in place. It's tight so be careful. Don't loosen it all the way, just enough to slide the arm out of the way.

3. Now you can pull the needle out with a pair of pliers. I believe the c-clip shoud be in position 3 of the needle. See URL below for an image.

E-Clip

4. To lean out your mid-range simplly pull the clip out of position 3 and slide it into position 2. I wouldn't move it more than 1 position.

5. Re-assemble and test it out. What I do is get the sled warmed up and find an open field. Put a new set of plugs in and make a few runs down the field at mid throttle. Pull the plugs and see what you have got. If there tan you should be good to go. If they are still bright white your probably too lean.

6. If too lean then try a bigger main jet. If still too lean you better move the clip back or you'll risk blowin her up.

I ran my sled half of last season in position 2 and 2 main jets sizes smaller with no problems. Runs better than ever and I don't have to worry about finding a gas station all the time. Plugs are more on the white side than tan but I like to gamble. And I don't run WFO all day anyway, I like the trails. I'll probably go up one jet this season and see if I maintain my mileage, if not it's back to gambling. If she blows then she was ready to be re-built anyway!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm sure than once the needle was moved for the update there was no room to squeese the mid range without costing you a piston. The 700's are just one of those engines that don't lend themselves to amazing fuel mileage. Do the clutching and gut the air box, you'll be amazed at what you end up with.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ZR Sled Head,
Unless you've read the article you can't say it doesn't work. They gave great detail hwta causes the bad milage and how to tweak it up with jtting hanges for all different elevations and tempurtures adn how to adjust the clips as stated above and to do clutch work also to get it up to 12-12.5mpg.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sled Dogg,
Read the article again you missed the key words "and has been reported to get the economy up in the 11-12 range". Reported by who, the writer has no first hand knowledge. Part of the factory update included moving the e-clip from the fourth to third position. Further for those that complained of poor power after the clip and jetting change AC authorized a helix and flyweight change which made for some improvement in performance but little to no positive change in fuel mileage. It still hovered in the seven or slightly better range but was a far cry from the 3-4 miles mpg it got with the initial factory set up. The kicker in all this was AC stated that if a customer with the updated set up was to hold the throttle wide open for an extended period of time (across a lake or the such) engine damage from a lean conditon would occur. They cured that the following year with an updated CDI box.
Theres a reason I know a fair bit about what they did to cure the initial set up problems, my '99 was used to test the different combinations before they were released to other dealers which is why mine was the first to include updated clutching as well. A/C was so busy with poor calibrations in '99 that much of the trial and error was done through their dealers. Remember that winter was another late starter with dealers in most areas having no snow/low snow making testing impossible. So they used dealers with machines that had a few miles on them in areas that had snow. Mine already had several hundred miles on the clock making it an ideal candidate.
Coming back to the article, I normally think snow tech is spot on with their articles but certainly not this one.
Rick.

·
Registered
836 Posts
ttt

I realize this thread is old, but I was wondering if anybody has or can track down a copy of the SnowTech article that is mentioned in this thread about the '99 ZR700 mileage and such. If somebody could locate it and at least let me know what month the issue was I could at least see if I could order the back issue from SnowTech. I sent SnowTech an email a month ago and got a really quick response back that they would forward my inquiry to the proper person and that they would be in touch, well I haven't heard back since ???

Any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It was Oct/ Nov 2002. They recommended a clutch kit from Dakota Performance(701-452-4212), and the following carb specs, for use in the midwest and down to 0 degrees F:
300 mains, raise the e-clip to the third position (from stock #4), and turn the idle mixture screws from the stock 2 1/4 in to 1 1/4.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
i had a 95 zr 580 that was terrible on gas. never seen anything like before in my life. i am sure it was geting worse gas mileage than our pro stock car. all i did was dropped the needles on notch. made it better all around, even in performance. on warm days it didnt seem to load up at all like before.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by DamageInc@Aug 21 2003, 04:02 AM
It was Oct/ Nov 2002. They recommended a clutch kit from Dakota Performance(701-452-4212), and the following carb specs, for use in the midwest and down to 0 degrees F:
300 mains, raise the e-clip to the third position (from stock #4), and turn the idle mixture screws from the stock 2 1/4 in to 1 1/4.
Good deal :thumbsup: Thanks :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts