Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried porting their favorite 2 stroke with the Race Logic templates as advertized here on SW?

What type of tools have you used, straight or 90?
Air grinders,drills,dremel?
Would you even suggest doing this for the regular guy/gal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've ported my own cylinders...on a few different sleds. The original expense of tooling up was more expensive than having a someone else do it. For me it wasn't the point..I wanted to do it. At the time I couldn't find a miniature heavy duty right angle die grinder ( an absolute must) so...I made my own. I was almost more proud of the die grinder than the porting. LOL . "Good" Porting is very much an art..so whether you should try it or not depends on your hands.  I would say the so called "average" guy might wanna beware,  and ahhhh..remember..mistakes are costly!!  

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mikadoo I know someone on here used a racelogic kit last fall.  If I remeber right it was winterpark.  I would try to get ahold of him.  I know he answered a few questions I had about it.  I haven't seen him on for awhile but I looked and he is still on the member list.  Hope this helps.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't be so worried about the grinding portion (I'm very handy with one from the job I have), but my concerns would be the scribing from the template and the correctness of it.  That's what scares me and the proper depths.  Would need to research it more.
just my opinion

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but need to hear more...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here's what I used, Mikadoo:

-90 die grinder purchased at home depot (Husky tools brand)
-3 pc carbide burr set purchased from Summit Racing (6" long-very helpful)
-Dykem layout fluid
-Nice, Sharp 90 degree scribe
-a little bit of bearing grease to hold the templates in place
-a can of WD-40 to keep your burrs from loading up with aluminum (a quick spray on the burr every so often takes care ot that very nicely)
-a good air compressor
-lots of patience and time

I think just about anyone could do the Race Logic porting, it is pretty straight forward.  Just follow the directions carefully and you will be fine....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Winterpark, does sound pretty straight foward.
So how does your sled run? Was it worth it? Did it kill your mileage?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I did a 670 ho, and used about the same tools as winterpark mentioned.   I found it easier that i expected.  Just time comsumming.  

as for results, i was very impressed.  It gave my sled more top end.  

I have a 670 template that i no longer need if anyone want to purchase it?  I will let it go cheap!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts