Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've allways found this topic very interesting, I have a friend who owns 2 sleds and lives in southern ohio ,where is average annual snowfall of maybe 25 inches.Sure he trailers several times a year to MI, and here to Western New York.Just wondering how many other can just open the garage and go

Me....Colden NY..the front edge of the snowbelt..annual average 191 inches..this season 177 inches..most of it late in the season

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
are average is 31 inches but we got about 60 this year 3 storns with about 10 to 20 inches in a 6 weeks time , me and my son were sore from riding every night . In beaver dam wis.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
We had a least 2 foot deficit of snow here according to Enviro Can

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I live right off US HWY 26 so I can't really ride from home unless I want to get another ticket :D Honestly it does not snow enough at my altitude for that to happen more than one day a year at most...but all the trails and destinations are only 10 to 25 miles away, so trailering is usually no big deal. Except when it's a sheet of ice the entire 25 miles...that right there is the worst part of snowmobiling...trailering up a crowded mountain highway on ice. Probably why I love spring riding so much...five foot base, sunny skies, pulling the sleds up the hill with the Civic. My wife and I rode May 7, 9, and 10 putting in 5 hour days and we're going back Monday to see how it is and test out the latest sled tweaks. The base was down to about 2 to 3 feet at best on May 10 in our late-spring spot, but it was so awesome being out there climbing slush hills, taking off into the trees and discovering new and untouched spots, wearing tee shirts and sunscreen. So even though I can't ride out of the driveway, the long season and short drive is a pretty good trade-off.

Oh yeah, our skids are filled with moss and twigs. It's a good feeling.

Attachments

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Hell man, I live in Florida and we get no snow, no wait a minute we did get flurries two years ago. So you can see I have a major road trip to ride mine.
Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Gaylord Michigans average is around 148 this years total was 185.6

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
G.D. -
Thought your number for this year sounded high so I went here:

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=apx

Looked up the total snowfall there at the Gaylord weather station Nov. - April. Total they are showing for that time period is 111.5 in. That number even seems high to me, as what we did get was the poofy lake effect stuff for the most part. Doesn't pack or form a base worth a darn. Pobably don't have to tell you that number is about right for lake effect. What was missing was the much heavier system snow. This year and last (140 in.) are the worst I can remember. Only one way to go from here - better!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
G.D. -
Thought your number for this year sounded high so I went here:
http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=apx
Looked up the total snowfall there at the Gaylord weather station Nov. - April. Total they are showing for that time period is 111.5 in. That number even seems high to me, as what we did get was the poofy lake effect stuff for the most part. Doesn't pack or form a base worth a darn. Pobably don't have to tell you that number is about right for lake effect. What was missing was the much heavier system snow. This year and last (140 in.) are the worst I can remember. Only one way to go from here - better![/b]
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/apx/climate/graph/snow/snowgraph.php

Attachments

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Gaylord Michigans average is around 148 this years total was 185.6[/b]
My wife and I love the Gaylord area and snowmobiled their last February. We hope to do this same in 2008 for a couple of weeks. The trails were excellent and it was very cold.

Richard

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
G.D. -
So that's it. There is no longer any doubt about it. Here's the proof you can trust the government to screw anything up...... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
G.D. -
So that's it. There is no longer any doubt about it. Here's the proof you can trust the government to screw anything up...... :crazy:[/b]

:lmao: They government is never wrong :lmao:

We had like 30 inches in december but it was all gone before Christmas.All in all it was a pretty crummy season when I finally could ride it only lasted about 8 weeks.I could have road in december but I like to have a base to ride on just dont like the feeling of the rocks and all the other debris on the trails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts