Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What works best ? I was thinking about getting quick adjust limiter straps this year. Do I want them tight or loose ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
running them loose in the powder lets your front end lift up out of the snow,then tighten them up for trail running,but too loose in the powder and you will start to ratchet unless your running extro's,thats the one thing i didnt like about my m-10,i had to keep my limit strap very tight to prevent ratcheting..

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I can see racheting being a problem with a 1.75". I take it that less coupling or none at all is also better for powder . Do extroverted drivers have any draw backs?

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is just my opnion, I think a loose limiter strap causes a steep aproche angle making it hard to get the sled to stop trenching and get on top. However less coupling definitly gets the skis out more. You hear so much talk about rolled chaincases on the mountain sleds now it's hard to ignore aproche angle.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
no everything i hear about extros is good,but you usually have to pull your suspension back or cut the tips off the rails off so they dont hit the rails

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really dont want to cut or drill anything yet , at least till warranty is over.
I wish the gade was in the ZX-X this year with the rolled chaincase. :(

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
permafrost..is this the first time with a 1 3/4 track?if you think you went good with the 1.25 wait until you try the new one,i had a 1.5 on my 670 and couldnt believe the difference from going from 1.25 to 1.5,come mid jan ill be putting a 1 3/4 on my sled for when the snow is deep :D

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Panteraone, I rode my buddies 99 summit 600 136"x 1.75" a few times in the powder and on the trails. It is way different from the 1.25". Let go of the throttle and your kissing the windshield .CrazyB ordered a 1,75" for his new gade too. I can't wait to test it out next year, Im sure i'll still be getting stuck the odd time though :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
The standard track with the group I ride with is a 156x2, we ride nothing but powder and mountains. I believe that if you let the limiter strap out, it decreases the approach angle. It also gives more transfer to the track, which can cause trenching if suspension is not set up properly. I have never had limiter strap adjustment cause ratcheting, that is normally due to track tension, which we run at the loosest possible setting to avoid friction which steals power to the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanxs for the advice and the eye candy. Feel free to post pics like that anytime :) How doo I set up the rear skid to avoid trenching?

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are a lot of variables for suspension set up, type sled, type suspension, track length, your weight, type snow and kind of riding etc etc

RIDE SAFE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
yes its true not all suspensions are the same,with my m-10 i had to run the track so tight and also shorten the strap or it would ratchet in the deep stuff,it had a terrible AOA,raising the limiter helped as it raised the tip of the rails and gave a slightly better angle then with the strap longer,but then steering was very heavy,i would have had to go 144 and do a pullback to make the m-10 work for me,id rather just get the expert-x.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Great pics! I can't say I've seen anymore sledders at one place ever! Was it a get-together or just good view?

·
Registered
269 Posts
That picture was taken at an event called "Arctic Man", up to 16,000 sledders all in one area. Last year attendance was down to about 10,000 due to poor snow conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
looks like quite a blast wiht lots of sleds with i could attend but im stuck in no-snow wisconsin :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts