Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the issue. I have no power under throttle. I'm thinking it is either running way to rich or way to lean. I've replaced the fuel pump diaphrams and thoroughly cleaned both the carbs, but still no power. I have not taken the time to read the plugs yet. If anyone can offer some help with this issue, I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
How does it idle? On my 72 Firebird 400, I had a crank seal go bad and I had no power. Clutch side went. After I replaced it she ran like a dream.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to idle ok at half choke. Is it hard to replace the crank seal? Never done that before.

Is there a way to visually inspect the crank seal without taking the clutch off?

·
Registered
582 Posts
When the sled is running, spray some starting fluid behind the clutch. If it revs up, the seal is bad. If no change in rpms, the seal is good. If it idles ok I'm sure the seal is prolly good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the sled is running, spray some starting fluid behind the clutch. If it revs up, the seal is bad. If no change in rpms, the seal is good. If it idles ok I'm sure the seal is prolly good.[/b]

Ok, some interesting developments over the weekend. My feeling is that the crank seal on the clutch side is good, don' t know about the mag side. Has power when it is cold, but none when it is warmed up. I have a feeling that the choke is adjusted wrong, but don't know how to correctly adjust it. It also sounded like it was spark knocking when it was cold, but went away when it got warm. Also, a coolant leak has surfaced. Is it at all possible that a head gasket could be blown and pushing compression into the cooling system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts