Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 ZRT 600 (new this year) with 900 miles. I'm wondering with the mileage I have if I should start thinking about cleaning the valves. I've used AC full synthetic APV oil since new. Also can they be checked without removing the covers (i.e. pullin on the wire)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You should be able to kinda check them without removing them. Like you said, pull on the cable. Disconnect them from the servo motor and at that same time you can check the lengths of the cable too. I had just cleaned a pair and then put it back together and wanted to check the length of cable and when I pulled on them you could hear the valve hitting at open and close. It should move real easy. If you don't hear it and it doesn't seem to be springing back. I say clean it. Or it only takes a couple of min to pull it apart too.Have fun. Its a dirty job.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would check them!  Even with the new oil, you don't really know till you look!  I put 400 miles on mine with the old apv oil, and they were real carboned up.  Get some carbon cleaner, I have also heard the Oven Cleaner helps in removing the carbon.  I just use a razor blade and emory paper to remove the carbon along with the carbon cleaner.  A little messy, but works.

This is not too difficult.

First start off by removing the cover for the servo motor, just loosen the bolts, and it slides out.
Next take off the retainer clip for the cables.  (Be care full not to drop it).
Rotate the servo motor and remove the cables from the servo, and detach them from the whole assembly.
Next is to remove the APV covers.  I would suggest doing one at a time.
Then remove the three hex screws and the valves should pull right out.  If they are gummed or carboned up, you may have too give it a good pull.  Don’t Drop them, they are hard to get if they fall in the belly (I found out the hard way).

These valves only go together one way, take a good look at the assembly, and take notes.  If you put them back together wrong, they won’t fit in.

Also be sure to tighten up your exhaust bolts.  Mine came loose and carbon gunk started leaking out of my exhaust, thus causing a vibration at 5500 rpm, and caused one of my valves to stick in the close position (due to the excess carbon gunk).

newf

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those things really supposed to come out of there??? (just kidding)

I removed the three allen keys and pulled on the valves. I've got them at least part way out but they seem to be really stuck. Is there a trick to this or is it just the carbon that's holding them back?  

·
Registered
13 Posts
It`s the carbon. If you have the allen head bolts out, the valves will come out. Be careful prying against the cylinder housing around the valves. Clean them real well, and use the new synthetic APV oil. If you don`t ride very hard, check them every 500 - 600 miles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You have to keep working them back and forth. They will come out. Try spraying some carb cleaner around the valves this will also help.After you get them out, You can scrape off the carbon with a razor blade just don't get crazy and dig into the metal. Cleaned mine yesterday they weren't too bad I am using the Klotz TCW-3 full synthetic oil. Works awsome.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Just be carefull with the emery cloth and razor blade. You don't want to wear down on the metal. If you soak them enough they should clean up real well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts