Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Pulled the power valves out last night. Gotta love amsoil. :D It took me about an hour total of removal, cleaning, removing gaskets, and reinstalling. I have to attribute the little amount of build up to the one tank of Cat oil that was already in the sled. I have about 1500 miles on the sled. So I know that's not that many. But atleast they weren't bad to clean. Still a dirty job. :doh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
rfmckee / ZR Sled Head

Are you guys running the series 2000 racing oil or the less expensive "regular" synthetic amsoil.

I was looking through the amsoil catalog I picked up at a recent show, and did not realize they had an alternative to the series 2000 racing oil I'm currently running. I'm curious what the difference is between the two.

David

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by David@Oct 10 2002, 03:45 PM
rfmckee / ZR Sled Head

Are you guys running the series 2000 racing oil or the less expensive "regular" synthetic amsoil.

I was looking through the amsoil catalog I picked up at a recent show, and did not realize they had an alternative to the series 2000 racing oil I'm currently running. I'm curious what the difference is between the two.

David
I run the regular cheap stuff. Its great. There has been many debates on this. Amsoil says not to run the 2000 stuff if your not modified. But to each his own. I think I pay just under 20 per gal. for the cheap stuff. Even cheaper if you order in quantity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
rfmckee,

Guess I'll have to dig into this a little. I think their catalog list retail prices at $34 a gallon for the 2000 stuff and $17 a gallon for the regular. No sense paying double if one doesn't have to.

Were your valves dirty to the extent that you had to "pry" them out, or were you able to simply "pull' them out?

David

·
Registered
84 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 11 2002, 02:04 PM
Sounds like what mine looked like with Amsoil at 2300 miles. :withstupid:
Same thing with mine at 2100 miles. :withstupid:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by David@Oct 10 2002, 04:40 PM
rfmckee,

Were your valves dirty to the extent that you had to "pry" them out, or were you able to simply "pull' them out?

David
David,
They were pretty darn clean. They slid right out. No prying or anything like that. I know what your talking about. They can be a pain if they're bad. I want to see my brother inlaws. He ran cats new APV last yr and we both ran about the same milage. There wasn't even enough build up to fill in that little rectangular depression on the one side like what usually happens. Great stuff. I even contimplated not cleaning them but I figured since I wasn't pressed for time and I tore one of the gaskets that I would start fresh and replace the gaskets. Now I'm good to go. I wouldn't hesitate to go 3000 or more before the next cleaning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
rfmckee,

Thanks for the input. Just from the sound of things, I'd say my valves are getting dirtier running the 2000 series than yours running the regular oil. I for sure gotta check into this further Amsoil and run a test of my own.

My zrt6 uses the round style valves. What style valves are on your sled?

Who knows, I may have 3 1/2 gallons of Series 2000 for sale this winter ???

David

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My valves slid right out and had only the slightest build up. It took all off a minute or so using a rag and carb cleaner to make them mint.
I'm using the regular Amsoil which compared to the Cat oil is a genuine bargain plus the valves stay super clean....how can you loose!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by David@Oct 10 2002, 06:52 PM
rfmckee,

Thanks for the input. Just from the sound of things, I'd say my valves are getting dirtier running the 2000 series than yours running the regular oil. I for sure gotta check into this further Amsoil and run a test of my own.

My zrt6 uses the round style valves. What style valves are on your sled?

Who knows, I may have 3 1/2 gallons of Series 2000 for sale this winter ???

David
That was gonna be my next question. The triples use a round style (pain in the arse) :cussing: The twins use a spade type. Way easier. We actually broke a couple getting them out once on a triple. I remember asking guys what to do to get them out on a triple with the round style and I think the best thing was to start the engine and let it warm up a little. I don't remember getting a chance to try it though. I feel for ya on those things. They actually get wedged in there the harder you pull it seems like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Originally posted by rfmckee@Oct 11 2002, 06:36 PM
The triples use a round style (pain in the arse) :cussing: The twins use a spade type.
Not true.

The 600 twins use (2) round style valves per cylinder.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes. If it turns out they have a fair bit of build up and you keep riding they will stick plus the more build up they accumulate the harder it is to remove them. Looking at them know will give you a gauge to judge how often you need to service them and save the grief of a crummy running sled out on the trail. These things lay down big time when a valve sticks and or a cable falls off. Don't forget to check your cables for adjustment as well. Happy motoring.
Rick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ZR Sled Head / rfmckee

Well, I talked to 2 (two) different Amsoil dealers at the Milwaukee show on Friday night. Got the same story from both. Unless your modded, or flat out racing all the time, the regular amsoil is better to use.

So, for anybody reading this, I've got 3 gallons of Amsoil Series 2000 racing oil for $ale, let$ talk :)

David

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by ZREFI+Oct 10 2002, 10:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZREFI @ Oct 10 2002, 10:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--rfmckee@Oct 11 2002, 06:36 PM
The triples use a round style (pain in the arse) :cussing:  The twins use a spade type.
Not true.

The 600 twins use (2) round style valves per cylinder.[/b][/quote]
Sorry, bad info. Was reading my performance manual last night and ran across that. Sorry. :doh: :hallo2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
klj,

No technical reason. Just that they had done some testing with customers/friends with cat apv sleds and found that the regular was less dirty than the series 2000 in recreational use for non-modified selds.

That seemed to back up what others had posted here. I know how dirty my valves got with the series 2000. I bought a gallon of regular amsoil at the show, so I'll be sucking out the oil in my resivor and replacing with regular amsoil before the season starts. Once we get snow and I get a chance to put on some miles, I'll know more.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts