Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Pantera 600EFI with Power Valves.  Excessive buildup on the power valves to the point where they are sticking. Required a good cleaning at 500 miles.  Had them cleaned again the other day at 1500 miles. Dealer said they were so carboned and gummed  that he had difficulty getting them out for cleaning. Been using the APV oil. Is this normal for power valves? Appears that they need a cleaning every 500-1000 miles.  Noticable performance drop just before the major cleaning. Anyone else experiencing the same? Can the use of other synthetic oils help this?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I dont own a Cat, however I have heard some of the same complaints, a couple things come to mind.....Last years Cats APV oil had lots of problems, supposedly it was reformulated to prevent this in 02, but did you get last years stuff from your dealer? or even the newer formulation is not so good? How is the oil consumption? check the pump settings? I know it is EFI, but is it running rich? this could cause problems as well? I would check the pump, followed by trying another oil like Amsoil or Klotz which both are known to be very clean burning, then if all else fails have your dealer look into it before your warranty is up. Also is the "cleaning cycle" working on the valves properly? find out how to check it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Synthetic oils are a MUST with APV engines. Don`t use last years` APV oil because it is petroleum. This years says synthetic on the label. Even with synthetic oil the valves will still gum eventually, but not near as fast or as bad. Your dealer should have explained this to you. Buy the good stuff and be happy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I use Fleet Farms Arctic Blue Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Oil at 9.99 a gal. (8.99 on sale). I only put 1139 mi. on my sled this year but I thought I would check them anyhow. I removed them from the eng. and I couldn't belive my eyes. They were nice and dry with just a trace of carbon build up. I thought maybe I had better check compression and to my surprise it was: 1) = 132#  2) = 135# Wow!!! Its Arctic Blue forever.

Auggie

PS: 2001 ZR800 With 2400 mi.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
that oil sounds good,  anyone else using it.  i have been using the maxima oil  and this seems to be good. over 900 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used the old APV oil up until last month.  I was cleaning my valves every 500 miles.  (I got a case for cheap).

The new APV syn oil is much cleaner.  I expect to get 1000 miles between cleanings.

Which ever way you look at it.  Power Valves are required to be cleaned.  1500 miles is too much, when the valves stick close or open your preformance is reduced.  In addition, you can cause engine damage over an extended period of time.  For example, if one valve is stuck open, the other close, you engine is producing power "unbalanced".  This will eventually cause your crank to seize or wear.  This is expensive to fix.

They are not hard to clean.  After a few cracks at it, it will take you under an hour to clean.

Cheers

newf

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just cleaned the valves for the first time in my '01 ZR 600 EFI at 3600 miles (no, i'm not lying).  I am totally convinced it has nothing to do with the oil, and everything to do with how it's ridden.  Mine were not sticking even at that mileage.. i could still feel them open up at 7000 rpm.. when i removed them, they slid right out.  The difference???  My throttle is on the bar quite a bit.. this opens the valves all the way quite freqently.. how can sludge build up on them when they are totally open?  I made the switch from the APV to the APV synth in 2002... i agree it's a much better oil.. less sludge coming out of the drains.. you might want to check those to make sure they are clear.. mine were almost plugged.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My friend uses Arctic Blue also and has had no problems. I couldn't find it around here, so I'm using Amsoil synthetic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts