Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I am starting tomorrow probably. Gotta clean carbs, re-rivet the sway bar (ouch) and possibly replace the belly pan (can't remember how bad it burned. Also need to re-do the seat, replace a brake lamp and..hmm....what else...oh yeah...replace both shocks in the skid along with the hifax and carbides. Hooray!

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 26, 2002, 2:37pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am starting tomorrow probably. Gotta clean carbs, re-rivet the sway bar (ouch) and possibly replace the belly pan (can't remember how bad it burned. Also need to re-do the seat, replace a brake lamp and..hmm....what else...oh yeah...replace both shocks in the skid along with the hifax and carbides. Hooray!

[/b][/quote]
You sure you don't want to scrap it and get a new one.  All I have to do is clean the carbs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My 500 for the first time since i bought it in 1998 needs some TLC.

I need to change some idlers and bearing and a plug wire, so ill probably just change both to NGK racing wires.  

Im also gonna clean the carbs for the first time and maybe check the rave valves.  I checked them at 7000km and they were still really clean and slid really really smooth.  I owe castrol syntec there.  

Not bad for 9000 somthing km.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Machzzzz1 @ Aug. 26, 2002, 2:41pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My 500 for the first time since i bought it in 1998 needs some TLC.

I need to change some idlers and bearing and a plug wire, so ill probably just change both to NGK racing wires.  

Im also gonna clean the carbs for the first time and maybe check the rave valves.  I checked them at 7000km and they were still really clean and slid really really smooth.  I owe castrol syntec there.  

Not bad for 9000 somthing km.[/b][/quote]
I put the NGK racing wires on my ZRT, not a bit of difference.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
THanks.  Ill price out the stock ones and then see what the NGK R wires cost.  

The Race wires are Red which looks cool but they grab the plug using the threads not the traditional top part.

I think the main advantage is that it is far less unlikely to have a plug wire pop off.  Also if the wire is better it will offer less resistence and save your coil and stator.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
MacchhZZZZZZZ, '98 and just now cleaning the carbs?
 Are you insane?!?    

My sled's ready, just waiting for my thumbwarmer switch to come in the mail to replace the defective one.  Will probably run it on the grass pretty soon....unless it gets traded for the T-Cat next month  

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Aug. 26, 2002, 12:40pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 26, 2002, 2:37pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am starting tomorrow probably. Gotta clean carbs, re-rivet the sway bar (ouch) and possibly replace the belly pan (can't remember how bad it burned. Also need to re-do the seat, replace a brake lamp and..hmm....what else...oh yeah...replace both shocks in the skid along with the hifax and carbides. Hooray!

[/b][/quote]
You sure you don't want to scrap it and get a new one.  All I have to do is clean the carbs.[/b][/quote]
NO way! I love this sled...just decided to fix it up right and proper for this season. If your not fixing something, your not riding hard enough

A

·
0 Posts
I know what you mean Rocketman, that is why I kept my old 96 ZRT and sold my 98 ZR600.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
OOOH!
 Why I oughta...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Been ready for the last 5 months! Hope to get a ride in before deer season. Last time that happened was 95, it was 5 days before deer season with 18" of snow. You would'nt believe the different ways people set up deer camp. Stopped at one camp asking for directions and we drank all their beer[they would'nt quit giv'in it to us] what can I say!
Here in michigan, if you cant ride before Nov.15 you might as well put her away until Dec.1st. You can ride after dark but you would be taking your life in your hands.
One thing I would like to do to the sled is find a 70 link chain to give it a more straight approach, I put in lower gears and the tentioner is really stretched out. Does anyone know of a master link I could get? 13 wide doo chain, dealer say's they dont make one.....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
today i changed out my jackshaft bearing,driveshaft bearing,and chaincase bearings,8000 miles on them,time for a change

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've been changing my sled into a wanabe REV  
 I've put some handle bar risers (3 1/2 inch) and I custom made something to jack up the seat 4 1/2 " and push it forward about 8-10". It has the same feeling as you get on the REV, legs are less inclined. I'll have to put a higher windshild and something to cover the handlebars from the wind.  I'm cleaning carbs and will try to go 26-40 on gears.

·
Registered
858 Posts
As soon as it's done I'll post a pic, I'm not sure when that'll be cause I learned today that I might be leaving for northern Quebec again for a month. I heard that it snows there in september  

·
Registered
118 Posts
Let's see. I've had the carbs and reed cages out for the past two months. Had to double check the replacements the dealer put on my 01 MXZ 800. The head is off and has been sent to RK Tek for his sleeper head conversion. RAVE valves pulled, cleaned, and reinstalled. Pipe and Y-pipe off. Actually the Y-pipe is back on now after welding in ports for EGT probes and repainting. The clutches are off, disassembled, and cleaned. Brake fluid and chain case fluids changed. I will be installing a heel clicker kit next. I have installed a coolant temperature gauge and a Pyro 2000 EGT gauge in the dash. I haven't even looked at the front suspension or the rear skid yet. I guess you could say that I am anxious for winter!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I started on the July 1 long weekend.  Rebuilding the suspension, new (stiffer) springs, rebuilt shocks, new idler bearings all around, new sliders, then some cosmetic stuff.  

Pretending your 600 pound Zert is a ZR Cross Country leads to some expensive repairs!!!LOL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts