1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Z71 Suburban and am going
to do something to prevent someone from
taking it. I am considering putting in
a hidden switch (under the dash or someplace)
that will prevent it from starting. I know
some people have done it, but I want to know
what circuit they run it into.

I have the entire under hood electrical system
apart and trying to determine where to splice
it in. There is also a crank fuse on the inside
fuse box and it won't start if I remove it,
but I'm skeptical that someone can't bypass
that once the ignition is ripped off the column.

I'm considering something with the fuel pump,
but again, don't know where to splice the
switch into.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Didn't that come with ONSTAR?
 And you do have insurance, right???  Why would you go through all that trouble!
If a thief wants something bad enough, he's going to get it.  OnStar will shut the truck down for you if a thief is driving it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thieves in Canada must know how to turn Onstar
off right away. Did you read about the post on
trailconditions.com? They tried OnStar, but it was
non-operational.

I do have insurance, but for me its worth the hassle
of putting something in it rather than replacing sleds,
tools, personal things inside, etc. + the truck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't be a slave to your STUFF!  It's just STUFF!....Get added insurance if you need to and forget about it.  Don't grow old worrying about things you can replace with money it's not worth it in my opinion.  Remember, when you die...someone else will have all your STUFF anyway!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
gunner,
 thieves are two steps ahead of us normal people, they are professionals and will get it if they want it. believe me i have been a victim many times. better to have a dog that barks than anything else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would recomend against a battery switch unless you don't mind reseting your radio all the time...
 But if your heart is set on a hidden switch then I like your idea of breaking the power to the fuel pump the best I guess.  Look for the inertia switch and put a toggle in line just before it.  I don't know on chevys, but on fords they're usually up front under the dash or on the sides behind the kick panels.  The truck will start and run only for a short time until it has gone through the fuel already charged in the rail.  Good luck!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I do not know how the new electronic ignitions are but I used to remove the coil wire and put it in my pocket on my older cars.  Have not had to worry about theft lately.   of course If i go to canada next week maybe I will.  made me think now I have to figure out how to disable my 96 grand cherokee.   thanks for the post.  
I don't think anything is effective if you are targeted by a so called proffesional thief.  They use a enclosed rollback truck anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts