Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones thoughts on price parity between the US and Canada? I'm having a tough time understanding with the canadian dollar sitting at an all time low of 1.04 - 1.05 but yet the price delta between the 2 countries is between 20-30% depending on the sled and manufatuer. A couple of questions:

1) Will we see sled pricing come into line so that both sides of the border are equal?
2) If not why wouldn't it?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
won't happen for a few yrs

I pitty dealers or any type of place the sells stuff in border towns

There is a $3000-5000 mark up on sleds

Now take a look at cars

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Books & magazines are another example of where we're getting screwed too.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ever notice they are slow on lowering the price yet are fast to hike it!!!!!

we are getting screwed at the pump also

with crude at 70/barrel and our ca $ at 96 our prices should be lower

look when it was at 64

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Man, this is so a bone of contention with me, how can it be justified???

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
it's just nuts..

Rick

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It can't be justified, and as much as I pity the local dealers, the only way it will change is when the Canadian Distributers really start to lose money. It really ticks me off.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I doubt they would ever be equal, even if our dollar was on par with the US buck, or slightly higher for that matter. There is much more than currency exchange considered in the pricing of goods and even with "free tarde" there are tax, duty and other overhead issues that will continue to be reflected in base pricing. It will take a while for the higher Canadian dollar to be reflected in cross border pricing, but with the fundamental strengths in our economy and the fundamental weaknesses in the US economy the current situation should sustainable for a while, which should lead to pricing adjustments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts