Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for ya guys,

I'm out riding today and I noticed a little rattle coming from under the hood at all speeds, so I pull over to the side, pop the hood, and notice my primary clutch bolt is dangling out of the primary, all the way out. I pulled it out and looked at the threads and they are all mashed.(flat instead of pointed) I've never removed the bolt ever and I'm the only owner. It's a 2002 600 XCSP. I can fix it, that's not the problem. I have no idea why this would happen or even how it could happen. I don't want to fix it and have it happen again. Anyone ever heard of this or have any idea how it could happen or what could cause it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The clutches are aligned and the primary is still seated. Belt is fine, still new.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That likely came from installing the primary clutch and not re-torquing the bolt once the sled was run. Has it ever been off for service?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the bolt has never been removed and if it was a factory thing why wouldn't it happen until now. It has about 3,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've seen it happen before but with a Yamaha. (That machine actually went quite awhile without the bolt - kind of demonstrated the strength of the interfernce fit of a tapered shaft.)
I would imagine the bolt is the only thing damaged and probably due, as was mentiioned already, to rattling around inside for awhile and getting peened.

Was there an aluminum sleeve on that bolt? That sleeve is there to prevent the bolt from vibrating and trying to swing in an arc around the axis of rotation. If that isn't there, it's very possible that the bolt was vibrating and came loose as a result. I would use a new bolt rather than repair that bolt just to make sure your don't bugger the threads inside the end of the crank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, there was no sleeve. I ran a die over the bolt and it threaded right back into the crank no problem(by fingers) so I pulled it back out, put some loc-tite on it, torqued it, rode the #### out of it, retorqued it and repeated the above step about five times. It's still tight so it should be fine, I'll just keep my eye on it. The bolt didn't have any loc-tite on it from the factory so your all right, it probably just loosened up and then bashed the threads out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I've had my xlt 600 bolt rattle out twice, the first time it rattled right out the hole in the side that was freaky to see, lol

I replaced the bolt and the washer from a used machine after the second time it happened.

-steve

·
Registered
644 Posts
No sleeve, huh? That probably explains it. I always thought it was a bit crazy that a bolt under so much strain would/could vibrate. Then again 8000 rpms is spinning with considerable centrifugal force. I've never had a properly torqued sleeved bolt come loose - and my newest rig is an '01.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my old Indy 500. It was bone stock - I was the second owner. I saw the bolt come shooting out the side of the sled from the hole in the body as I was driving. It spun up and away! Scared the crap right out of me! I didn't drive it anymore until I put the bolt back in - it was fine - it just came out and flew off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts