Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but......what is it with some people? My family has a farm and we grant access for the snowmobile trail to cross one of our fields/pasture every year and have been doing so for years now. Today I looked out of the shop and noticed a wayward snowmobile track. It appears that some bright person thought it would be fun to go play in the powder or something and failed to notice the row of fence posts or the clearly flaged fence running between the fence posts and drove clear through it. Luckily no one was hurt. The trail is clearly staked and today was nice and sunny and there were no drifts across the trail so he didn't lose the trail I guess he just didn't care or think that in a farming area going through a pasture with cattle not 150 feet to his side that there might possably be a fence wire running between the fence posts sticking out of the snow at least 2-3 feet never mind the stay on marked trail sign at each end of the field. If it were my decision I wouldn't grant access anymore cause if any idiot like that got hurt because he ventured off of the clearly marked trail on to private property then we would still be liable. Luckly for the club the decision isn't up to me and my Dad and Grandfather are a little more easy going about that stuff than I am but geeze.

I guess what I am trying to say is stay on the trail because you don't know what is off of it and could get hurt never mind pissing off the land owners. I am sure that the majority of people on here know this but there are still a few jokers out there who think that a ski doo and an open field give them the right to go wherever the hell they want.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You just voiced the main complaint our local club gets from land owners. That and Noise complaints.
Sorry about the trespasser, and I hope the fence scratched the crap out of his sled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes i would defenitaly have to agree with Polaris X Rider ...Well Put. If it wasn't for you and the other land owners we would not have any where else to ride... One word to say respect!!!!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
here any trespasser is not a liability, only those invited to the property would be. but if the sign says stay on trail do so.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
This is an ongoing problem with the yo-yo's that don't want to follow the rules. On behalf of all the snowmobilers that can follow the rules of marked trails, we know all to well how this can damage our sport.

Please know that the majority of snowmobilers will and do respect the land owners property and wishes and there are some of us who will speak out to these people who violate these wishes.

I do believe that in michigan with the posted signs and alike, you are covered with respect to liability but it does not change the fact that damage could be done to your property/livestock ect. and I know you don't want to see anyone hurt.

Whoever does this knows who they are, and hopefully they will pay attention to what they are causing or could cause with neglet of posted signs.

I for one appreciate your post !

Snow4

·
Registered
347 Posts
us newyorkers have a law protecting the land owner. with or with out permission on private property, the land owner is NOT responsible for any type of injury. its like a blanket covering landowners from idiots who feel that they can drive all over hells creation. the ONLY way a land owner is responsible is if, he/she, purposley puts an obstuction in the way so the "idiots" crash.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
us newyorkers have a law protecting the land owner. with or with out permission on private property, the land owner is NOT responsible for any type of injury. its like a blanket covering landowners from idiots who feel that they can drive all over hells creation. the ONLY way a land owner is responsible is if, he/she, purposley puts an obstuction in the way so the "idiots" crash.[/b]
the obstruction would get you a lawsuit here as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
On behalf of all of the club volunteers that make the trails happen we thank you for your cooperation and patience. We deal with these kinds of people every year. They like to go play on the winter wheat and alfalfa fields instead of the trail. Our club settles up with the landowners in the spring for any damage.

As far as liability for an accident the OFSC has $15 million in liability insurance. There is an incident down here where the landowner was dragged into a lawsuit due to the stupidity of a snowmobiler and the OFSC lawyers are taking care of him on the OFSC tab. Should anything ever happen you will be covered. That still doesn't help with the aggravation factor but we appreciate your support.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as liability for an accident the OFSC has $15 million in liability insurance. There is an incident down here where the landowner was dragged into a lawsuit due to the stupidity of a snowmobiler and the OFSC lawyers are taking care of him on the OFSC tab. Should anything ever happen you will be covered. That still doesn't help with the aggravation factor but we appreciate your support.[/b]

and people wonder why trail permits are so high.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
and people wonder why trail permits are so high.[/b]

I guess it`s like people who drive there SUV`s through waterways .to the person driving it is exiting and fun but to a fisherman you are destroying fish, habitat , and the waterways food chain all in the name of selfish excitement .jmho M

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Luckly for the club the decision isn't up to me and my Dad and Grandfather are a little more easy going about that stuff than I am but geeze.[/b]
Too bad you don't take after your Dad and Grandfather. You shouldn't let little stuff stress you out.

I guess it`s like people who drive there SUV`s through waterways .to the person driving it is exiting and fun but to a fisherman you are destroying fish, habitat , and the waterways food chain all in the name of selfish excitement .jmho M[/b]
Good one, and good point.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is hell that they don't respect the private property and stay on the trail. The big concern here is atv's. They think when the snow is gone ,they can rightfully drive down any trail and visit any farmers field before The crops start to grow.Pain in the neck rutt making machines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts