Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1977 Kitty kat for a dirt cheap price. The guy said it had not be ran in years, and i figured the worse that could be wrong with it was the carb was dirty. I check compression it is 120psi. Checked spark, looks great, nice and blue. Cleaned the carb put it back together and it wont fire. I can run gas in the cylinder and it will fire, pour some down the carb and it will fire, but nothing just having the choke on and turning it over. The peck #### on the fuel tank is loose, so i took some permatex and tried to seal it the best i could, to prevent air from getting in there. I havent put it back on yet to see if that made a difference or not. But if anyone else has any suggestions to what the problem could be, and/or how to fix it i would greatly appreciate any help. I have a 3 year old that is itchin to ride!

·
10,054 Posts
is it getting spark?? I am assuming it is being you can get it to fire when you pour gas down the cylinder,,,, this leads me to say your problem is fuel. Have you checked your fuel pump?? fuel filter?? fuel line??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it getting spark?? I am assuming it is being you can get it to fire when you pour gas down the cylinder,,,, this leads me to say your problem is fuel. Have you checked your fuel pump?? fuel filter?? fuel line??[/b]

It has great spark. As far as i know, its a gravity feed type system, it fills the bowl, but from there it doesnt get into the cylinder.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had to clean everythimg on my carb and adjusted fuel screw and works great . I had the same problem with the tank .

Did you use the little primer on the carb and pump it up.

Also you said it ran on fuel down the pulg hole so the points are still good .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to clean everythimg on my carb and adjusted fuel screw and works great . I had the same problem with the tank .

Did you use the little primer on the carb and pump it up.

Also you said it ran on fuel down the pulg hole so the points are still good .[/b]
Im not sure what your talking about the primer on the carb. Do you happen to have a picture?

·
10,054 Posts
I am not sure about the gravity feed,,, but I would assume that means no fuel pump. Any chance your float in the bowl is stuck up or your needle is sealed up and not allowing fuel into the bowl??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure about the gravity feed,,, but I would assume that means no fuel pump. Any chance your float in the bowl is stuck up or your needle is sealed up and not allowing fuel into the bowl??[/b]

When the bowl is off the carb, the float seems to work ok. As far as the needle being sealed up, not quite sure. I let it soak in carb cleaner for a week, then took the air compressor to all of the passages (or so i thought).

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
When the bowl is off the carb, the float seems to work ok. As far as the needle being sealed up, not quite sure. I let it soak in carb cleaner for a week, then took the air compressor to all of the passages (or so i thought).[/b]

by carb cleaner you mean an acid dip ? also did you pull the idle enrichment screw when you did this ?( dipped it )

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
didn't see this asked yet so i will. do you have gas coming from the tank to the hose at the carb ? if you do did you have the cap off or on ? was just thinking of a restriction or the vent plugged in cap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
didn't see this asked yet so i will. do you have gas coming from the tank to the hose at the carb ? if you do did you have the cap off or on ? was just thinking of a restriction or the vent plugged in cap.[/b]
Gas flows through the tank and filter as it should and fills the float bowl up. I used carb cleaner from a can (not an acid dip) and let it soak for three days. i disassembled the carb (as much as i could) and let everything soak. I bought a used engine off of ebay, and I am going to use that tank and cap, but this one does the same thing. Is there any timing issues with these motors?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Gas flows through the tank and filter as it should and fills the float bowl up. I used carb cleaner from a can (not an acid dip) and let it soak for three days. i disassembled the carb (as much as i could) and let everything soak. I bought a used engine off of ebay, and I am going to use that tank and cap, but this one does the same thing. Is there any timing issues with these motors?[/b]

Is it the 60cc kawasaki motor ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah that little primer helps alot if you dont use it you pull till the recoil breaks! If you had it running I assume the points are sill good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah that little primer helps alot if you dont use it you pull till the recoil breaks! If you had it running I assume the points are sill good.[/b]
Is there a choke on the one that you took a picture of?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked both of my carbs last night and neither have the primer. It looks like you have a kill switch on the fly wheel cover, and thats not on there either. Do you think it could be a timing issue?

·
Registered
496 Posts
You said it runs if you pour fuel in carb or in plug right . If it runs say afew seconds it should work . is the spark strong or weak ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You said it runs if you pour fuel in carb or in plug right . If it runs say afew seconds it should work . is the spark strong or weak ?[/b]
Yes it does run if gas is poured through the carb, or into the plug hole. I agree that it should run and make the carb work if gas is ran through carb. From my small engine mechanics and working on cars and trucks, the spark looks strong to me, its a blue spark, usually week spark is yellow (correct me if im wrong). Thats why i ask about timing with those two strokes, it has timing marks on it but im not sure if that is the problem. Im to the point where im about to have to take it into a professional.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the nut on the bottom of the bowl of the carb is actually the jet!! remove the nut and check for a small hole in the side of it is should be clean

use a light to see if it is clean

if it is dirty it wont get gas to the motor

use a strand from a wire wheel to clean the hole!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts