Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What octane to you guys run in your sleds...I've heard that the average bone stock ski-doo should have the regular 87-89 octane and that jumping to the super grade could in fact hurt your motor due to early detonation when your really cranking on it. I'm running a 99' Formula Z 670, always ran super with no trouble...that I know of yet. Do the higher octane mixtures help against buildups in the carbs ??
thanks
Rubber side down..
Brad

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You have it backwards.

87 octane = more power, faster hotter burn, easier starting, more prone to detonation.

91 octane = Less power, Slower Burn, Harder to start, Less prone to Detonation.

However you can make more power using 91 by uping the compression of the engine to a level that 87 cant run.

If your going to run on a lake only use 91 nomatter what the machine.

I run 91 all the time. Running higher then 91 is ok and makes your sled safer but you get to a point were to much octane is just a waste and your losing power.

91 is a good octane to run at, Dont waste your time with the race fuels unless your acually racing.

One other thing you have to remember is that fuel will lose some of its octane by sitting to long. So when you fill up with 87 at a mom and pops gas station you may only be getting 84 or somthing. Stick with 91.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've always ran 91/93 in my PWCs and Sleds. The sled sees mostly lake riding and some trail riding. I'm hoping to do more trail riding this season if mother nature cooperates ;)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Running high grade will not cause any engine related problems other than a slight perfomance loss. 87 is fine for a sled with no engine mods. My dealer told me to use 87 in my 02 700. So I do just that.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Only thing bad that could happen is if it went to the extreme. like Going to 112 or 114 race fuel using stock jetting.

Since Higheroctane takes longer to burn, it could actually still continue to burn after the piston opened the exhaust port, letting burning fuel dump into the pipe. I have never seen this, but have heard about it.

A higher octane fuel could allow one to run a touch leaner, ut the problem is availability of good fuel. If you could find CPC 100 octane everywhere on the trail, you could get away with it. And oh yea, it costs $30 US for 5 gallons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts