Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally i would not pipe a sled im gonna trail ride but PSI claims that these pipes are as quiet or close enought to stock levels.  I was just wondering if this is true.

Also how good are these pipes.  PSI says there they offer the most HP increase at stock operating levels 8400-8500RPM.

Basicly if I buy them and put them on, what can i expect.  

And will I need to Rejet.  

Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i do think you will re jet any pipe you put on it, i also think that the crank shop trail pipes would be better. i have 98 dyno slip ons that are louder than the trail pipes i think, its a more crisp snap w/ the pipes.
you will also have to clutch it with any pipe change it would be foolish not to ( i think). if noise is a problem for you clutch and re gear it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not tried PSI on Mach Z, But I am familiar with their product.

Most likely you will loose low end torque.

From your numbers it looks like they increased the peak hp but kept the same RPM. If this is the case your clutch will probably work fine.

PSI usually transfers midrange and low end hp to peak hp. They are good at it but increase wear and tear on your crank and clutches.

A good company to deal with if your serious about racing.

You will need to rejet

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE jet leaner or richer.  Anyway rejeting is not a problem.  Only thing is that i got it perfectly dialed in and didnt really want to do it over.  

PSI Is claiming a increase in torque thruout the powerband.  

And 20LB reduction for weight.  

THat is the main reason i want them.  20lb of the front will make a big diffrence.  

Please tell me more about the Crankshop pipe.  I know there probably the best on a Mach but i cant go much louder then stock.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If they have found power throughout the powerband - good for them. But I doubt it. Bombardier makes good trail pipes. I think they broadened peak power maybe, but the low end probably lost some.

I suggest you call PSI tech center and have them supply you with the dyno chart. Make sure you ask for engine hp and not track hp. This will help you re-clutch if needed.

I have gotten screwed by companies before that don't give you the full dyno sheet. they only send the "good" portion of the power curve.

If the dyno looks good - buy the pipes.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I have PSI's on my Mach1. No I haven't had it dynoed but it feels quite as bit stronger. There was more pull at the bottom end than with the stock pipes. They are much quieter than crankshops which is a plus as far as I'm concerned, but they still sound great. Had to jet up 2 sizes.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Dont know how well the modblaster work on the doo's, but they did wonders on my zert.  They are quieter at idle than stock pipes on the cat(not saying much..haha)and are a little louder than stock at WOT with more of a "growl" to them as opposed to the "scream" of the stock pipes.
If they work as good for the doos as they do on the cats, you will be very happy with them.  Although most guys I know with Z's that pipe them go with Jaws.  I KNOW that those kick ars on the Z's!

PS  I am talking about the stage II Modblasters, not the stage 1 pipes which use your existing silencers.  I also am using their clutch kit and just tweaked it and geared it to my own liking.....

Last edited by phazerhater at Aug. 09, 2002, 3:33pm

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is an article from dynoport on stage tuning a Mach Z.  They made close to the same hp with v-force and a silensor as they did with pipes.  If you are concerened about noise some manufacters of these pipes go directly into the stock can.  My freind has psi's on a Mach 1 and they are quiet.  The only Mach's that I would put pipes on, are the 98 versions.
http://www.dynoport.com/article-rotax800-2.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just buy a set of TRAIL crank shop pipe for my '98 mach ...
My sled is stock with v-force 2 and 1.25 track.
stock gearing 27/43
stock clutch
jetting is 300/310/300

im 170 lbs and ride at sea level , agressive trail riding

What jetting you recommend to start with ? 350/350/350 and
one richer on needle ?

I'm thinking about changing the base cylinder gastet (0.6) and head mod too ... this is a good mod to do on a mach z ?

and what about race logic porting template , sound like an easy way to increase HP at low cost but i would like to heard your experience before i do it myself.

Any good clutch setup to go with all this mod done ?

Thanks for you help !

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hi guys . i have used psi in the past on some of my cats. and i also had a set of open chamber pipes. now thw psi did make more power then the stock from the bottom all the way thru and way more top. the did noe have the bottom as the stingers. but the stingers would fall right off after 660 ft. but they are good pipes, durable and i was actualy considering running a set on my chicken. just of interest did u notice that on dyno runs for dyno port that the most torque was the stock pipes...... myself i am all about the torque. they claim hp and torque wich is important.then again a solide 6hp from a B and B eleminator can.........food for thought hehehehe ;) :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts