Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is putting twin pipes on his 00 mxz700 and are they any good? his stock pipe is shot, no back pressure. he's going aftermarket because it's cheaper than stock in price.

·
Registered
532 Posts
PSI is just down the road from me in Wild Rose Wisconsin.  Id have to tell you PSI works more with Polaris and Arctic Cat.  They don't doo a lot with Ski-Doo.  They doo offer products, but are not tested to the extent the other brands are.  Good Luck with the PSI.  I'd look into Dyno-Ports or Crank Shop.   But thats just me  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'll second Winterfreak's comment. Go with a shop that specializes in 'doo stuff.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would not try a PSI pipe on that model. The existing pipe set-up if fine.

I usually stay clear of buying sleds that are set-up from PSI. The motor lower ends are usually shot.

I find PSI is a great company to find peak horsepower, but the power band gets real narrow. Now a days It's a real myth that any pipe manufacturer can MAGICALLY increase hp throughout the power range. Truth is there is only so much output an engine can produce. So when you "Bump-up" the peak operating hp, you are actually stealing hp from a lower range.

I have ridden these mxz 7's and they have lots of power everywhere. Bombardier knows this, thats why it's clutched the way it is. You can literally ride in all conditions on the same set-up.

Pipes from the OEM are a comprimise, they offer the best "average" condition. If you are a serious racer, then purchase the appropriate accessories for what you want to acheive and remove the comprimise. If you want a drag sled, forget all about midrange and low end power and buy pipes that spin at 8500+ rpm with an increase in hp in a small area. But remember, you will have a terible day on the trail with this set-up.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i drove my friends sled last year and it seemed to be gutless compared to my xc700. a ski-doo dealer told him to put pipes on it, but he said he'd loose power, so why is ski-doo so hard to pipe out?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Studboy...Is your friend looking at a set of PSI's because he's getting a good deal, or is someone giving the pipes away?  Go with Winterfreak's advice, and tell your buddy to give Dynoport a call if he needs to change pipes.  I would stick with a single pipe for all around riding.  Another great source for tuning advice is Bill Cudney @ Cudneyracing.com.  Bill sells an exhaust restrictor for the stock exhaust 3-5 hp..

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I remember someone saying in a pipes discussion that ski-doo has the best oem pipes and the only way to improve is to go Crankshop.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (performancex @ Aug. 01, 2002, 3:32pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember someone saying in a pipes discussion that ski-doo has the best oem pipes[/b][/quote]
I have heard that too. AAEN wasn't able to improve on the single pipe on the old 467 back in the '80s. I think the point was that other than going to twin pipes, it's difficult to get better results than the OEM Rotax single pipe.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I have both a stock piped sled and a crankshops piped sled both 00 mxz 700's,the crankshops twins do make more power but I don't like them for all day riding.

A

·
0 Posts
I used Crankshop pipes on my 93 Formula Plus, pulled up the horse quite a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts