Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could get some tips on correcting the oil issue to the PTO bearing on my 98 FIII 700 ? I bought the sled last December in mint condition with only 490 miles. The previous owner used Bombardier regular oil so that’s what I used as well. During my second weekend out riding I noticed a very light burning smell coming from the engine compartment but after inspecting the engine thoroughly I couldn’t find anything wrong. By the end of the trip the sled seemed sluggish. When I got home and started the engine everything seemed fine until I kill power. When I shut off the engine I heard a spinning noise that sounded like roller bearings still spinning !!! At that point I knew I had a big problem and begin to pull the engine out for a full tear down. When I opened the crank case out came three ball bearings from the far PTO side. The rest were in a pile at the bottom of the outer bearing race. Looks like no oil gets to outer PTO bearings and causes them to fail. I was hoping to replace only the outer bearings, but the inner bearings were beginning to go as well. I spent $500 for a new crank from Ski-doo and want to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Below is a pic of the upper crank case with red arrows to where I think I should drill, but before I do anything I wanted to ask the experts first. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm surprised your DOO dealer can't help you with that as there was a case mod made to these engines when this repair was made under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had mine done 2 years ago cost 550.00 did not need crank.
i believe fix was to seal holes and install permalube bearings that are sealed no need for oil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts